- 1.Remove the loose crown with pliers (GC Pliers; GC America) and the prefabricated post with a post removal tool (CYTCO-K; Dentsply Intl) (Fig. 1C-E). Use a tissue punch (Salvin Dental Specialties) to expose the implant platform (Tapered Screw Vent; Zimmer Dental), which was completely covered with gingiva. Control the bleeding with a hemostatic agent (Viscostat; Ultradent Products Inc).
- 2.Attempt to screw a healing abutment (Zimmer Dental) to the implant to see whether it engages the internal threads of the implant. Make a periapical radiograph to evaluate whether the abutment is completely seated (Fig. 1F).
- 3.If the abutment does not engage the implant’s internal threads and the misfit between the abutment and implant can be radiographically confirmed, use a tapping tool (model 172UWF thread tap; Zimmer Dental) to form new threads in the internal surface of the implant (Fig. 1G).3Remove the head of the tool if it is too large to use between the adjacent teeth (Fig. 1H).
- 4.Use the tapping tool in a clockwise direction, and each time resistance is felt, remove the tool in a counter clockwise direction. Exercise caution during retapping and rinse the internal surface of the implant with water after each attempt. Repeat the procedure until a proper depth is achieved for an impression post to completely seat (Fig. 1I).
- 5.Evaluate the impression post (Zimmer Dental) on the implant, and make a radiograph to determine whether the impression post is completely seated on the implant platform (Fig. 1J).
- Clinical complications of osseointegrated implants.J Prosthet Dent. 1999; 81: 537-552
- Retrofitting a cast dowel-core on salvaged dental implants.J Prosthodont. 2004; 13: 52-54
- A technique for salvaging an implant-supported crown with a fractured abutment screw.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 169-170
- Salvaging an angled implant abutment with damaged internal threads: A clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 287-290
- A technique to salvage a single implant-supported fixed dental prosthesis having a nonretrievable implant screw fragment.J Oral Implantol. 2013; 39: 81-83
- A technique to retrieve fractured implant screws.J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 105: 137-138