Statement of problem
The mechanical properties of zirconia suggest that it might serve as a material for abutment crowns for partial removable dental prostheses (RDPs). Only limited clinical evidence is available for the use of ceramics as abutment crowns.
The purpose of this retrospective clinical study was to evaluate the outcome of veneered zirconia single crowns in abutment teeth for RPDs in participants treated by predoctoral students.
Material and methods
Thirty-seven veneered zirconia single crowns in 17 participants (9 men and 8 women; mean age 62.5 years) were prepared as abutment teeth for a clasp-retained RDP with a metal framework: 22 crowns with an occlusal rest seat and 15 crowns with both an occlusal rest seat and retentive clasps. The mean follow-up time was 4.2 years (2.9 to 5.4 years). In a clinical examination, the anatomic form of the crown, marginal fidelity (the border between the crown and the tooth was felt with an explorer), wear of the ceramic surface in the rest seat, and fracture of the veneering porcelain were examined and assessed as good, acceptable, or unacceptable. The retention and stability of the RDPs were recorded as good, moderate, or poor.
The complications found were fracture of the veneering porcelain (11%) and fracture of the occlusal rest seat (3%). Wear of porcelain at the occlusal contact point was found in 24% of the zirconia single crowns. Wear of the ceramic surfaces of the rest seats for the RDPs was not found. The retention was good in all RDPs. The stability was good in 73% and moderate in 23% of the RDPs.
Veneered zirconia single crowns are suitable in abutment teeth for RDPs with a metal framework. Fracture in the veneering porcelain remains a problem with veneered zirconia, although the zirconia surface in the rest seats for RDPs showed no wear.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Contemporary materials and technologies for all-ceramic fixed partial dentures: a review of the literature.J Prosthet Dent. 2004; 92: 557-562
- An overview of zirconia ceramics: basic properties and clinical applications.J Dent. 2007; 35: 819-826
- Clinical outcomes of three different crown systems with CAD/CAM technology.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 770-777
- Effect of hydrothermal degradation on three types of zirconias for dental application.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 1377-1384
- Removable partial denture abutments restored with all-ceramic surveyed crowns.Quintessence Int. 2006; 37: 283-288
- Tooth-related risk factors for tooth loss in community-dwelling elderly people.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2012; 40: 154-163
- Multifactorial risk assessment for survival of abutments of removable partial dentures based on practice-based longitudinal study.J Dent. 2013; 41: 1175-1180
- Association of removable partial denture use with oral and systemic health.J Dent. 2011; 39: 711-719
- Treatment outcomes with removable partial dentures: a retrospective analysis.Int J Prosthodont. 2013; 26: 147-150
- A clinical follow-up study of the periodontal conditions of RPD abutment and non-abutment teeth.J Oral Rehabil. 2010; 37: 545-552
- Preparing teeth to receive a removable partial denture.J Prosth Dent. 1999; 82: 536-549
- Mathematical analysis of occlusal rest design for cast removable partial dentures.Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2007; 15: 29-32
- The construction of crowns for removable partial denture abutment teeth.Quintessence Int. 1994; 25: 471-475
- Longitudinal clinical evaluation of undercut areas and rest seats of abutment teeth in removable partial denture treatment.J Prosthodont. 2011; 20: 639-642
- The analysis of the effect of wrought wire clasps on the conditions of abutment teeth.Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2013; 15: 27-33
- Effects of long-term simulated RPD clasp attachment/detachment on retention loss and wear for two clasp types and three abutment material surfaces.J Prosthodont. 2012; 21: 370-377
- All-ceramic surveyed crowns for removable partial denture abutments.J Prosthet Dent. 2000; 84: 400-402
- Fundamentals of fixed prosthodontics.4th ed. Quintessence Publishing, Chicago2012: 131-148 (161-2)
- Molin Thorén M. Gunne J. Textbook of removable prosthodontics – the Scandinavian approach. Munksgaard Denmark, Copenhagen2012: 169-216
- Survival and complications of zirconia-based fixed dental prostheses: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2012; 107: 170-177
- Early complications and short-term failures of zirconia single crowns and partial fixed dental prostheses.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 778-783
- Bond strength and Raman analysis of the zirconia-feldspathic porcelain interface.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 886-894
- Influence of zirconia surface treatment on veneering porcelain shear bond strength after cyclic loading.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 1392-1398
Published online: September 05, 2015
© 2015 Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.