Statement of problem
Teeth are weakened after endodontic treatment and should, ideally, be crowned, especially posterior teeth. However, this is not always possible. Information about the longevity of endodontically treated teeth without crown coverage may assist in selecting appropriate treatment modalities.
The aims of this cohort study were to evaluate the survival rate for endodontically treated molars without crown coverage and to identify possible related factors.
Material and methods
A total of 220 endodontically treated permanent molar teeth in 203 subjects on a waiting list for fixed prosthodontic treatment at the Faculty of Dentistry-Mahidol University, Thailand, were included. Follow-up data were derived from a clinical examination and review of the dental record and radiographs. Subjects were not included in the study if teeth had provisional crowns, definitive restorations with cuspal coverage, or with dowel and core and/or crown restorations. The outcome evaluated was defined as a failure if there were negative findings in the condition of a tooth that required a restoration, tooth repair, or extraction. Tooth loss due to endodontic and periodontal reasons was excluded. The independent variables assessed were patient age, gender, location (maxilla or mandible), the existence of an opposing dentition and adjacent teeth, remaining tooth structure, and types of restorative material. Kaplan-Meier analysis with a 95% confidence level was used to calculate the survival probability, and a log-rank test was used to determine whether significant differences existed.
Overall survival rates of endodontically treated molars without crowns at 1, 2, and 5 years were 96%, 88%, and 36%, respectively. With greater amounts of coronal tooth structure remaining, the survival probability increased. Molar teeth with maximum tooth structure remaining after endodontic treatment had a survival rate of 78% at 5 years. Restorations with direct composite had a better survival rate than conventional amalgam and reinforced zinc oxide and eugenol with polymethacrylate restorations.
Within the limitations of this study, the amount of remaining tooth structure and types of restorative material have significant association with the longevity of endodontically treated molars without crown coverage.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Failure of endodontically treated teeth: classification and evaluation.J Endod. 1991; 17: 338-342
- Foundation restorations in fixed prosthodontics: current knowledge and future needs.J Prosthet Dent. 1999; 82: 643-657
- Relationship between crown placement and the survival of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 256-263
- Intracoronal reinforcement and coronal coverage: a study of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1984; 51: 780-784
- Factors related to loss of root canal filled teeth.J Public Health Dent. 1997; 57: 31-39
- Restoration of endodontically treated posterior teeth.J Endod. 1976; 2: 374-375
- Determination of the moisture content of vital and pulpless teeth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1972; 34: 661
- Moisture content of vital vs endodontically treated teeth.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1994; 10: 91-93
- Are endodontically treated teeth more brittle?.J Endod. 1992; 18: 332-335
- Fractures of posterior teeth in adults.J Am Dent Assoc. 1986; 112: 215-218
- Effects of designs of Class 2 preparations on resistance of teeth to fracture.Oper Dent. 1983; 8: 6-10
- Effect of prepared cavities on the strength of teeth.Oper Dent. 1981; 6: 2-5
- Cuspal deflection in molars in relation to endodontic and restorative procedures.J Endod. 1995; 21: 57-61
- Reduction in tooth stiffness as a result of endodontic and restorative procedure.J Endod. 1989; 15: 512-516
- In vitro fracture strength of endodontically treated premolars.J Endod. 1999; 25: 6-8
- In vitro comparison of cuspal fracture resistances of posterior teeth restored with various adhesive restorations.Int J Prosthodont. 2001; 14: 374-378
- Reasons for and incidence of tooth mortality in a Swedish population.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1992; 8: 230-234
- Clinical survey of fractured teeth.J Am Dent Assoc. 1987; 114: 174-177
- Vertical root fracture in endodontically treated teeth: a review of 25 cases.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2001; 92: 553-555
- Fracture susceptibility of endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 1980; 6: 560-565
- Adult root fracture.J Am Dent Assoc. 1983; 107: 413-419
- Resistance to fracture of restored endodontically treated premolars.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1986; 2: 35-38
- An amalgam coronal-radicular dowel and core technique for endodontically treated posterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1980; 43: 511-515
- Strength of roots before and after endodontic treatment and restoration.J Endod. 1992; 18: 440-443
- Fracture resistance of endodontically-treated premolars adhesively restored.Am J Dent. 1997; 10: 237-241
- In vitro cusp fracture of endodontically treated premolars restored with MOD amalgam or MOD resin fillings.Dent Mater. 1988; 4: 169-173
- Bonded restorations for the prevention and treatment of the cracked-tooth syndrome.Am J Dent. 1999; 12: 266-270
- Stiffness of endodontically-treated teeth related to restoration technique.J Dent Res. 1989; 68: 1540-1544
- Influence of different transitional restorations on the fracture resistance of premolar teeth.Oper Dent. 2001; 26: 267-272
- Assessment of the resistance to fracture of endodontically treated molars restored with amalgam.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 462-465
- Effect of restorative procedures on the strength of endodontically treated molars.J Endod. 1994; 20: 479-485
- Fracture strength of weakened human premolars restored with amalgam with and without cusp coverage.Am J Dent. 1998; 11: 181-184
- A clinical trial of a visible light cured posterior composite resin restorative material: five-year results.Quintessence Int. 1988; 19: 675-681
- In vivo fractures of endodontically treated posterior teeth restored with amalgam.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1990; 6: 49-55
- In vivo fractures of endodontically treated posterior teeth restored with enamel-bonded resin.Endod Dent Traumatol. 1990; 6: 218-225
- Three-year clinical comparison of survival of endodontically treated teeth restored with either full cast coverage or with direct composite restoration.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 88: 297-301
- Basic & clinical biostatistics.4th ed. McGraw-Hill, Singapore2004 (p. 212-27)
Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
© 2005 The Editorial Council of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.