A patient underwent immediate implant placement and immediate provisional restoration with nonocclusal loading in the right central incisor area. A provisional custom abutment and a cemented provisional restoration were fabricated. At the impression appointment, an implant level impression was made and the provisional abutment was scanned for fabrication of the definitive custom abutment. This clinical report describes how CAD/CAM technology can facilitate the definitive restoration of immediately placed and loaded implants by allowing the fabrication of the definitive abutment as an exact duplicate of the provisional abutment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A 15-year study of osseointegrated implants in the treatment of the edentulous jaw.Int J Oral Surg. 1981; 10: 387-416
- Osseointegrated implants in the treatment of partially edentulous patients: a preliminary study on 876 consecutively placed fixtures.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1989; 4: 211-217
- A multicenter report on osseointegrated oral implants.J Prosthet Dent. 1988; 60: 75-84
- Immediate placement and provisionalization of maxillary anterior single implants: 1-year prospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2003; 18: 31-39
- Single-implant restorations: a contemporary approach for achieving a predictable outcome.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 73-81
- Extraction site reconstruction for alveolar ridge preservation. Part 1: rationale and materials selection.J Oral Implantol. 2001; 27: 187-193
- Clinical, cephalometric, and densitometric study of reduction of residual ridges.J Prosthet Dent. 1971; 26: 280-295
- Optimizing esthetics for implant restorations in the anterior maxilla: anatomic and surgical considerations.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2004; 19: 43-61
- Predictable single tooth peri-implant esthetics: five diagnostic keys.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2001; 22: 199-206
- Site development for anterior single implant esthetics: the dentulous site.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2001; 22: 221-231
- In vivo bone response to biomechanical loading at the bone/dental-implant interface.Adv in Dent Res. 1999; 13: 99-119
- Timing of loading and effect of micromotion on bone-dental implant interface: review of experimental literature.J Biomed Mater Res. 1998; 43: 192-203
- Single tooth immediate provisional restoration of dental implants: technique and early results.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 1131-1138
- Clinical and radiographic evaluation of the papilla level adjacent to single-tooth dental implants. A retrospective study in the maxillary anterior region.J Periodontol. 2001; 72: 1364-1371
- Dimensions of peri-implant mucosa: an evaluation of maxillary anterior single implants in humans.J Periodontol. 2003; 74: 557-562
- Interproximal papilla levels following early versus delayed placement of single-tooth implants: a controlled clinical trial.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2005; 20: 753-761
- Gingival recession around implants: a 1-year longitudinal prospective study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2000; 15: 527-532
- Custom impression coping for an exact registration of the healed tissue in the esthetic implant restoration.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1997; 17: 584-591
- Single-stage Straumann dental implants in the aesthetic zone: considerations and treatment procedures.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 57-66
- Aesthetic peri-implant site development. The restorative connection.Dent Clin North Am. 1998; 42: 57-70
- Interdental papilla management: a review and classification of the therapeutic approaches.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2004; 24: 246-255
- Bucco-lingual bone remodeling around implants placed into immediate extraction sockets: a case series.J Periodontol. 2003; 74: 268-273
School of Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Tex; Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Tex
Presented at the Nobel Biocare World Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 2005.
© 2006 The Editorial Council of The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.