Statement of problem
Unresolved controversy exists concerning the best technique for restoring endodontically treated teeth. Prefabricated posts have been recommended with some debate as a method of restoring pulpless teeth before placement of the final restoration.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the effect on the strain, fracture resistance, and fracture mode of endodontically treated human incisors of 4 types of restorations with or without glass fiber posts after thermal cycling.
Material and methods
Ninety human maxillary central incisors were selected and divided into 1 control group and 8 treatment groups (n=10). The teeth were endodontically treated and received 2 large Class III preparations simulating coronal destruction. The teeth were then restored with or without glass fiber posts and by using 4 restorative techniques: direct composite resin, direct composite veneer, feldspathic ceramic veneer, or a feldspathic ceramic crown. After artificial aging by thermal cycling, the incisors were loaded at a 135-degree angle, and the strain was measured by using strain gauges placed on the facial and proximal root surfaces. Specimens were subsequently loaded to the point of fracture. Strain and fracture resistance results were analyzed by a 1-way and 2-way ANOVA, followed by the Tukey HSD and Dunnett tests (α=.05).
One-way analyses showed that the control group and the direct composite resin restoration with and without post groups presented significantly higher fracture resistance values (P<.001). Two-way analyses showed no significant differences for the post system. Proximal strain values were higher in the control and composite resin groups and lower in the feldspathic ceramic groups.
The presence of glass fiber posts did not increase the fracture resistance of endodontically treated incisors. Conservative composite resin restorations showed higher fracture resistance values.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The restoration of endodontically treated, single-rooted teeth with cast or direct posts and cores: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 380-386
- Fibre-based post systems: a review.Br Dent J. 2003; 195 (12;): 43-48
- Post placement and restoration of endodontically treated teeth: a literature review.J Endod. 2004; 30: 289-301
- A simple etching technique for improving the retention of fiber posts to resin composites.J Endod. 2006; 32: 44-47
- The adhesion between fibre posts and composite resin cores: the evaluation of microtensile bond strength following various surface chemical treatments to posts.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 31-39
- Biomechanical considerations for the restoration of endodontically treated teeth: a systematic review of the literature–Part 1. Composition and micro- and macrostructure alterations.Quintessence Int. 2007; 38: 733-743
- Finite element analysis of a glass fibre reinforced composite endodontic post.Biomaterials. 2002; 23: 2667-2682
- Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with composite posts.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 360-367
- Effects of post system and length on the strain and fracture resistance of root filled bovine teeth.Int Endod J. 2008; 41: 493-501
- Long-term survival of endodontically treated, maxillary anterior teeth restored with either tapered or parallel-sided glass-fiber posts and full-ceramic crown coverage.J Dent. 2009; 37: 115-121
- Fracture strength of direct versus indirect laminates with and without fiber application at the cementation interface.Dent Mater. 2007; 23: 927-933
- Fracture strength of indirect resin composite laminates to teeth with existing restorations: an evaluation of conditioning protocols.J Adhes Dent. 2009; 11: 391-397
- Restoring strength of incisors with veneers and full ceramic crowns.J Adhes Dent. 2010; 12: 45-54
- Influence of post placement in the fracture resistance of endodontically treated incisors veneered with direct composite.J Prosthet Dent. 2000; 84: 180-184
- Porcelain veneers: a review of the literature.J Dent. 2000; 28: 163-177
- Effect of etching and airborne particle abrasion on the microstructure of different dental ceramics.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 479-488
- In vitro fracture strength of teeth restored with different all-ceramic crown systems.J Prosthet Dent. 2004; 92: 491-495
- Fracture strength of 5 different all-ceramic crown systems.Int J Prosthodont. 1998; 11: 602-609
- Clinical evaluation of an all-ceramic restorative system: a 36-month clinical evaluation.Am J Dent. 2010; 23: 87-92
- Porcelain laminate veneers bonded to etched enamel.Dent Clin North Am. 1983; 27: 671-684
- Esthetic rehabilitation of maxillary incisors in conjunction with flapless surgical techniques, an implant zirconia crown, and porcelain veneers.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2009; 21: 294-302
- Fracture load and mode of failure of ceramic veneers with different preparations.J Prosthet Dent. 2000; 83: 171-180
- Tooth structure removal associated with various preparation designs for anterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 503-509
- Influence of restorative technique on the biomechanical behavior of endodontically treated maxillary premolars. Part I: fracture resistance and fracture mode.J Prosthet Dent. 2008; 99: 30-37
- Fracture resistance and deflection of pulpless anterior teeth restored with composite or porcelain veneers.J Endod. 2010; 36: 153-156
- Influence of cavity preparation design on fracture resistance of posterior Leucite-reinforced ceramic restorations.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 421-429
- Influence of restorative technique on the biomechanical behavior of endodontically treated maxillary premolars. Part II: strain measurement and stress distribution.J Prosthet Dent. 2008; 99: 114-122
- Cuspal deflection, strain and microleakage of endodontically treated premolar teeth restored with direct resin composites.J Dent. 2009; 37: 724-730
- The effect of post, core, crown type, and ferrule presence on the biomechanical behavior of endodontically treated bovine anterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 104: 306-317
- Load fatigue of teeth with different ferrule lengths, restored with fiber posts, composite resin cores, and all-ceramic crowns.J Prosthet Dent. 2009; 102: 229-234
- An experimental analysis of stresses in simulated flared root canals subjected to various post-core applications.J Oral Rehabil. 2005; 32: 427-432
- Thermal cycling procedures for laboratory testing of dental restorations.J Dent. 1999; 27: 89-99
- Longevity and failure load of ceramic veneers with different preparation designs after exposure to masticatory simulation.J Prosthet Dent. 2005; 94: 132-139
- Fracture strength after dynamic loading of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post-and-core systems.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 438-445
- The influence of incisal veneering porcelain thickness of two metal ceramic crown systems on failure resistance after cyclic loading.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 103: 275-282
- Investigation of mechanical properties of modern dental composites after artificial aging for one year.Oper Dent. 2010; 35: 412-419
- In vitro performance of self-adhesive resin cements for post-and-core build-ups: influence of chewing simulation or 1-year storage in 0.5% chloramine solution.Acta Biomater. 2010; 6: 4389-4395
- The effect of thermal cycling on metal-ceramic bond strength.J Dent. 2009; 37: 549-553
- Influence of post system and remaining coronal tooth tissue on biomechanical behaviour of root filled molar teeth.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 386-394
- Influence of root embedment material and periodontal ligament simulation on fracture resistance tests.Braz Oral Res. 2005; 19: 11-16
- Influence of the endodontic treatment on mechanical properties of root dentin.J Endod. 2007; 33: 603-606
- Fiber post etching with hydrogen peroxide: effect of concentration and application time.J Endod. 2011; 37: 398-402
- Effect of intermediate fiber layer on the fracture load and failure mode of maxillary incisors restored with laminate veneers.Dent Mater J. 2008; 27: 61-68
- Surface treatment protocols in the cementation process of ceramic and laboratory-processed composite restorations: a literature review.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2005; 17: 224-235
- Effect of incomplete crown ferrules on load capacity of endodontically treated maxillary incisors restored with fiber posts, composite build-ups, and all-ceramic crowns: an in vitro evaluation after chewing simulation.Acta Odontol Scand. 2006; 64: 31-36
Supported by grant no. APQ-02400/09 from the Research Support Foundation of the State of Minas Gerais (FAPEMIG).
© 2012 The Editorial Council of the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.