Statement of problem
How the location of a ferrule affects the fracture resistance of endodontically treated mandibular premolars is unclear.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to compare the effect of ferrule location on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated mandibular premolars.
Material and methods
Seventy-two extracted human mandibular premolars were selected and divided into 6 test groups (n=12) according to ferrule location: control group, GHT; endodontically treated teeth without endodontic posts and crowns, GCF; teeth with a 2 mm circumferential ferrule, GBF; teeth with a 2 mm buccal ferrule; GLF, teeth with a 2 mm lingual ferrule; GBLF, teeth with a 2 mm buccal and lingual ferrule; and teeth without ferrule, GWF. After glass fiber posts were cemented with a self-adhesive resin cement and foundation restorations were placed, NiCr crowns were luted to each prepared tooth. All specimens were quasistatically loaded at 30 degrees in a universal testing machine until fractured. Data were then analyzed with 1-way ANOVA, followed by multiple comparisons using the Tukey honestly significant difference test (α=.05).
Mean ±SD failure loads for groups ranged from 791.1 ±177.5 N to 1086.1 ±181.1 N. One-way ANOVA revealed a statistically signiﬁcant difference between the groups (P≤.05). However, no statistically significant differences were observed among groups (P>.05), except between GHT (control group) and groups GBLF and GWF (P=.025, P=.022).
Within the limitations of this study, the location of the ferrule had no significant effect on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated mandibular premolars.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of glass-fiber posts on the fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated premolars with varying substance loss: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 105: 387-393
- Randomized clinical trial comparing the effects of post placement on failure rate of postendodontic restorations: preliminary results of a mean period of 32 months.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1477-1482
- The ferrule effect: a literature review.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 575-581
- An evaluation of endodontically treated vertically fractured teeth.J Endodont. 1999; 25: 506-508
- An in vitro evaluation of a carbon fiber-based post and core system.J Prosthet Dent. 1997; 78: 5-9
- Factors affecting the fracture resistance of post-core reconstructed teeth: a review.Int J Prosthodont. 2001; 14: 355-363
- Influence of post fit and post length on fracture resistance.Int Endodont J. 2009; 42: 47-53
- Evaluation of push-out bond strength of four luting agents and SEM observation of the dentine/fibreglass bond interface.Int Endodontic J. 2013; 46: 982-992
- Intracoronal reinforcement and coronal coverage: a study of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1984; 51: 780-784
- Esthetic post-and-core treatment.Dent Clin North Am. 2001; 45: 103-116
- Resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post systems.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 431-437
- A retrospective evaluation of teeth restored with zirconia ceramic posts: 10-year results.Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18: 1181-1187
- 10-year survival evaluation for glass-fiber-supported postendodontic restoration: a prospective observational clinical study.J Endod. 2012; 38: 432-435
- Survival of two post systems-five-year results of a randomized clinical trial.Quintessence Int. 2011; 42: 843-850
- Pathways of the pulp.10th ed. Mosby, St Louis2002: 781
- The influence of post length and crown ferrule length on the resistance to cyclic loading of bovine teeth with prefabricated titanium posts.Int J Prosthodont. 1999; 12: 78-82
- Ferrule design and fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1990; 63: 529-536
- Effects of post-core design and ferrule on fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 368-373
- Effect of dentin bonding and ferrule preparation on the fracture strength of crowned teeth restored with dowels and amalgam cores.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 297-301
- Load fatigue of teeth with different ferrule lengths, restored with fiber posts, composite resin cores, and all-ceramic crowns.J Prosthet Dent. 2009; 102: 229-234
- The influence of substance loss and ferrule height on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated premolars. An in vitro study.Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 1280-1286
- Effect of different ferrule designs on the fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated teeth restored with fiber posts and all-ceramic crowns.J Appl Oral Sci. 2011; 19: 28-33
- Influence of remaining coronal tooth structure location on the fracture resistance of restored endodontically treated anterior teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 290-296
- Evaluation of the effect of different ferrule designs on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors incorporating fiber posts, composite cores and crown restorations.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2007; 8: 62-69
- Effect of a crown ferrule on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with prefabricated posts.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 50-54
- Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth: three walls versus four walls of remaining coronal tooth structure.J Prosthodont. 2009; 18: 49-53
- Influence of the remaining coronal structure on the resistance of teeth with intraradicular retainer.Braz Dent J. 2005; 16: 197-201
Published online: March 19, 2015
© 2015 Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.