This report describes a clinical technique for fabricating a maxillary implant-supported, removable complete dental prosthesis by using an intraoral digital scanner to register implant positions and soft tissue morphology. The presented technique uses computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) technology with a subtractive manufacturing process to fabricate a milled bar (infrastructure framework) and an additive process to fabricate a friction fit, superstructure framework. This digital restorative pathway may decrease patient discomfort and reduce the labor associated with fabricating implant-supported, removable complete dental prostheses.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evidence-based criteria for differential treatment planning of implant restorations for the maxillary edentulous patient.J Prosthodont. 2014 Oct 13; (http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jopr.12226. [Epub ahead of print])
- A systematic review of implant-supported overdentures in the edentulous maxilla, compared to the mandible: how many implants?.Eur J Oral Implantol. 2014; 7: S191-S201
- A systematic review of implant-supported maxillary overdentures after a mean observation period of at least 1 year.J Clin Periodontol. 2010; 37: 98-110
- Treatment considerations for maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 97: 340-348
- Prosthodontic maintenance of maxillary implant overdentures: a systematic literature review.Int J Prosthodont. 2012; 25: 381-391
- The implant-supported milled bar overdenture: a literature review.Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2010; 15: e375-e378
- Digital data management for CAD/CAM technology. An update of current systems.Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2013; 21: 9-15
- Concepts for designing and fabricating metal implant frameworks for hybrid implant prostheses.J Prosthodont. 2012; 21: 413-424
- Fit of screw-retained fixed implant frameworks fabricated by different methods: a systematic review.Int J Prosthodont. 2011; 24: 207-220
- The future of dental devices is digital.Dent Mater. 2012; 28: 3-12
- Trends in computer-aided manufacturing in prosthodontics: a review of the available streams.Int J Dent. 2014; 2014: 783-798
- Metallurgical and interfacial characterization of PFM Co-Cr dental alloys fabricated via casting, milling or selective laser melting.Dent Mater. 2014; 30: e79-e88
- Computer-aided technology for fabricating complete dentures: systematic review of historical background, current status, and future perspectives.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 361-366
- Intraoral scanning of hard and soft tissues for partial removable dental prosthesis fabrication.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 444-448
- Use of digital data acquisition and CAD/CAM technology for the fabrication of a fixed complete dental prosthesis on dental implants.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 111: 1-5
- A technique for verifying and correcting a milled polyurethane definitive cast for nonsegmental implant restoration in an edentulous jaw.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 658-662
- Complete mucostatic impression: a new attempt.J Prosthodont. 2012; 21: 209-214
Published online: April 07, 2015
© 2015 Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.