Statement of problem
How the placement of fiber posts affects the fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors with cervical cavities is not well documented.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the effect of fiber posts on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors with cervical cavities.
Material and methods
Fifty extracted human maxillary central incisors were selected and divided into 5 test groups (n=10) according to the restoration strategy: GHT, control group; endodontically treated teeth (ETT) without endodontic posts; GCV, ETT with cervical cavities simulating coronal destruction; GCF, ETT with cervical cavities and carbon fiber posts; GGF, ETT with cervical cavities and glass fiber posts; and GCP, ETT with cervical cavities and composite resin posts. After the fiber posts had been cemented with a resin cement and the foundations had been placed, all specimens were quasi statically loaded at 45 degrees in a universal testing machine until fracture. All specimens were evaluated for fracture modes. The data were then analyzed by 1-way ANOVA, followed by multiple comparisons with the Tukey HSD test (α=.05). The mode of failure was determined by visual inspection.
The mean ±SD failure loads for the groups ranged from 718.2 ±89.8 N to 943.8 ±93.1 N. In a 1-way ANOVA followed by post hoc testing, GGFs had a higher fracture strength than all other groups (P≤.05). However, GCPs had a lower fracture strength than all other groups. Statistically significant differences were observed among groups (P≤.05), except between the GHT group and the GCF and GGF groups (P=.075, P=.226). All groups except GHT showed complete favorable fracture mode within the cervical third of the roots.
Within the limitations of this in vitro study, placement of glass fiber posts significantly improved the fracture resistance of endodontically treated maxillary central incisors with cervical cavities.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of glass-fiber posts on the fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated premolars with varying substance loss: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 105: 387-393
- Randomized clinical trial comparing the effects of post placement on failure rate of postendodontic restorations: preliminary results of a mean period of 32 months.J Endod. 2009; 35: 1477-1482
- The ferrule effect: a literature review.Int Endod J. 2002; 35: 575-581
- The influence of substance loss and ferrule height on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated premolars. An in vitro study.Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 1280-1286
- Influence of ferrule, post system, and length on stress distribution of weakened root-filled teeth.J Endod. 2014; 40: 1874-1878
- An in vitro evaluation of a carbon fiber-based post and core system.J Prosthet Dent. 1997; 78: 5-9
- Factors affecting the fracture resistance of post-core reconstructed teeth: a review.Int J Prosthodont. 2001; 14: 355-363
- Restoring endodontically treated teeth with posts and cores-a review.Quintessence Int. 2005; 36: 737-746
- Post placement affects survival of endodontically treated premolars.J Dent Res. 2007; 86: 729-734
- Post placement and restoration of endodontically treated teeth: a literature review.J Endod. 2004; 30: 289-301
- The prosthodontic management of endodontically treated teeth: a literature review. Part I. Success and failure data, treatment concepts.J Prosthodont. 1994; 3: 243-250
- Fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth restored with glass fiber reinforced posts and cast gold post and cores cemented with three cements.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 110: 127-133
- Comparison of carbon fiber and stainless steel root canal posts.Quintessence Int. 1996; 27: 93-97
- Randomized controlled clinical pilot trial of titanium vs glass fiber prefabricated posts: preliminary results after up to 3 years.Int J Prosthodont. 2007; 20: 499-503
- All-ceramic posts and cores: the state of the art.Quintessence Int. 1999; 30: 383-392
- Effect of thermomechanical aging on bond strength and interface morphology of glass fiber and zirconia posts bonded with a self-etch adhesive and a self-adhesive resin cement to natural teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 455-464
- Clinical outcomes and success rates of quartz fiber post restorations: a retrospective study.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 367-372
- Intermittent loading of teeth restored using quartz fiber, carbon-quartz fiber, and zirconium dioxide ceramic root canal posts.J Adhes Dent. 1999; 1: 153-158
- Flexural properties of fiber reinforced root canal posts.Dent Mater. 2004; 20: 29-36
- Intermittent loading of teeth restored using prefabricated carbon fiber posts.Int J Prosthodont. 1996; 9: 131-136
- Survival of two post systems-five-year results of a randomized clinical trial.Quintessence Int. 2011; 42: 843-850
- A retrospective evaluation of teeth restored with zirconia ceramic posts: 10-year results.Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18: 1181-1187
- Effect of post-retained composite restoration of MOD preparations on the fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth.J Adhes Dent. 2007; 9: 49-56
- Influence of post fit and post length on fracture resistance.Int Endod J. 2009; 42: 47-53
- Three-dimensional finite element analysis of endodontically treated teeth with weakened radicular walls restored with different protocols.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 383-389
- Resistance to fracture of endodontically treated teeth restored with different post systems.J Prosthet Dent. 2002; 87: 431-437
- Fracture resistance of compromised endodontically treated teeth restored with bonded post and cores: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 390-397
- Influence of post material and length on endodontically treated incisors: an in vitro and finite element study.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 104: 379-388
- Effect of post length and diameter on remaining dentine thickness in maxillary central and lateral incisors.Int Endod J. 2011; 44: 956-966
- Ferrule design and fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth.J Prosthet Dent. 1990; 63: 529-536
- Effect of different ferrule designs on the fracture resistance and failure pattern of endodontically treated teeth restored with fiber posts and all-ceramic crowns.J Appl Oral Sci. 2011; 19: 28-33
- Marcondes Martins LR. Influence of ferrule, post system, and length on biomechanical behavior of endodontically treated anterior teeth.J Endod. 2014; 40: 119-123
- A finite element analysis of ferrule design on restoration resistance and distribution of stress within a root.Int Endod J. 2006; 39: 443-452
- Effect of ferrule location on the fracture resistance of crowned mandibular premolars: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 86-91
- Effect of remaining tooth structure on the fracture resistance of endodontically-treated maxillary premolars: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 290-295
- Retentive strength of fiber-reinforced composite posts with composite resin cores: effect of remaining coronal structure and root canal dentin conditioning protocols.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 856-861
- Effect of ferrule height and glass fibre post length on fracture resistance and failure mode of endodontically treated teeth.Aust Endod J. 2014; 40: 81-86
- Orthodontic extrusion with magnets: a case report.Quintessence Int. 2008; 39: 371-379
- Ferrule effect: a literature review.J Endod. 2012; 38: 11-19
- Fracture resistance of the buccal cusps of root filled maxillary premolar teeth restored with various techniques.Int Endod J. 2007; 40: 161-168
- Identifying and reducing risks for potential fractures in endodontically treated teeth.J Endod. 2010; 36: 609-617
- A comparative study of fracture resistance between morphologic dowel and cores and a resin-reinforced dowel system in the intraradicular restoration of structurally compromised roots.Quintessence Int. 1996; 27: 483-491
Published online: February 09, 2016
Copyright © 2016 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.