A maxillary midline diastema (MMD) is a common complaint of dental patients. An MMD can be closed with treatment from different disciplines, including operative dentistry and orthodontics. A comprehensive smile analysis is also a necessity before beginning treatment. This article highlights the closure of a 3-mm MMD by using a combination of orthodontics and direct composite resin restorations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of anterior occlusal characteristics on self-perceived dental appearance in young adults.Angle Orthod. 2007; 77: 831-836
- Treating a maxillary midline diastema in adult patients: a general dentist’s perspective.J Am Dent Assoc. 2011; 142: 1258-1264
- Distribution of diastemas in the dentition of man.Am J Phys Anthropol. 1963; 21: 437-441
- The diastema, the frenum, the frenectomy: a clinical study.Am J Orthod. 1977; 71: 489-508
- Contemporary orthodontics.5th ed. Mosby/Elsevier, St. Louis2013: 451-452
- Merging orthodontics and restorative dentistry: an integral part of esthetic dentistry.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008; 20: 155-163
- Range and mean distribution frequency of individual tooth width of the maxillary anterior dentition.Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2007; 19: 209-215
- Principles of smile design.J Conserv Dent. 2010; 13: 225-232
- Closure of diastema and gingival recontouring using direct adhesive restorations: a case report.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2009; 21: 229-240
- Use of composite resin for restorative and orthodontic correction of anterior interdental spacing.J Prosthet Dent. 1985; 53: 766-771
- The artistry of conservative esthetic dentistry.J Am Dent Assoc. 1987; (Spec No:14E-23E)
- A multidisciplinary approach to esthetic dentistry.Dent Clin North Am. 2007; 51 (x-xi): 487-505
- Multidisciplinary approach to the establishment and maintenance of an esthetic smile: a 9-year follow-up case report.Quintessence Int. 2012; 43: 853-858
- Some esthetic factors in a smile.J Prosthet Dent. 1984; 51: 24-28
- Optimising aesthetics and facilitating clinical application of free-hand bonding using the ‘natural layering concept’.Br Dent J. 2008; 204: 181-185
- Applications for direct composite restorations in orthodontics.J Orofac Orthop. 2004; 65: 164-179
- Reconstruction of the lost interproximal papilla–presentation of surgical and nonsurgical approaches.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1999; 19: 395-406
- Progress in gingival papilla reconstruction.Periodontol 2000. 1996; 11: 65-68
- Recontouring teeth and closing diastemas with direct composite buildups: a clinical evaluation of survival and quality parameters.J Dent. 2010; 38: 1001-1009
Published online: August 22, 2017
© 2017 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.