Insufficient crown height space, particularly in the interforaminal region of edentulous ridges with knife-edge morphology, may prevent successful prosthetic rehabilitation. Such conditions require osteoplasty, which might complicate computer-guided implant placement. This clinical report illustrates the treatment of a patient with complete edentulism rehabilitated with a mandibular implant-supported fixed dental prosthesis by using a virtually guided approach. Both alveolar ridge reduction and prosthetically driven implant insertions were computer-guided by surgical stents to increase accuracy and predictability. This approach enabled the immediate loading of the implants with an interim prosthesis before the delivery of a definitive screw-retained fixed prosthesis. At the 1-year follow-up visit, clinical and radiographic examination revealed a stable outcome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Implant treatment of patients with edentulous jaws: A 20-year follow-up.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2008; 10: 207-217
- A custom template and definitive prosthesis allowing immediate implant loading in the maxilla: A clinical report.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2002; 17: 663-670
- An image-guided system-drilled surgical template and trephine guide pin to make treatment of completely edentulous patients easier: A clinical report on immediate loading.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2004; 6: 111-119
- Computer technology applications in surgical implant dentistry: a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29 Suppl: 25-42
- Depth and lateral deviations in guided implant surgery: An RCT comparing guided surgery with mental navigation or the use of a pilot-drill template.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26: 1315-1320
- Computer-supported implant planning and guided surgery: A narrative review.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26 Suppl 11: 69-76
- Accuracy of computer-aided template-guided oral implant placement: A prospective clinical study.J Periodontal Implant Sci. 2014; 44: 184-193
- Computer-guided versus free-hand placement of immediately loaded dental implants: 1-year post-loading results of a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Eur J Oral Implantol. 2014; 7: 229-242
- Effect of flapless surgery on pain experienced in implant placement using an image-guided system.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2006; 21: 298-304
- Implant surgery using bone- and mucosa-supported stereolithographic guides in totally edentulous jaws: Surgical and post-operative outcomes of computer-aided vs. standard techniques.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2010; 21: 980-988
- Implant positioning errors in freehand and computer-aided placement methods: A single-blind clinical comparative study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013; 28: 190-204
- Consensus conference panel report: Crown-height space guidelines for implant dentistry-part 2.Implant Dent. 2006; 15: 113-121
- “All-on-Four” immediate-function concept with Branemark System implants for completely edentulous mandibles: A retrospective clinical study.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2003; 5 Suppl 1: 2-9
- Combining guided alveolar ridge reduction and guided implant placement for all-on-4 surgery: A clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 662-667
Published online: February 08, 2018
© 2017 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.