- 1.Make an impression or perform digital scanning of the maxillary arch. Make a cast and fabricate a vacuum-formed retainer (Essix ACE Plastic .030”, .75 mm; Dentsply Sirona).
- 2.Build 2 acrylic resin buttons (Orthocryl Clear Acrylic Resin Powder; Dentaurum) on the distal third of lateral incisors without removing the retainer from the cast.
- 3.Cut the appliance at the midline using a disk. Remove the amount of space requiring closure from the mesial aspects. Round the borders to avoid tissue irritation. (Fig. 1).
- 4.Evaluate both halves of the appliance and confirm patient comfort.
- 5.Use 3/16 inch, 4-ounce elastics (orthodontic elastics; GAC), full time until the space is closed. (Fig. 2).
- 6.Depending on the tooth morphology, modify the interproximal enamel to avoid a black triangle.
- 7.Schedule weekly visits for the patient until the space is closed (2-4 weeks). The amount of closure can be measured with a periodontal probe at each visit.
- 8.Once the space has been closed, insert a fixed lingual retainer to prevent relapse. (Fig. 3).
- Contemporary orthodontics.5th ed. Elsevier, St Louis2013: 451
- Width of dental arches in patients with maxillary midline diastema.Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2018; 77: 340-344