This clinical report describes damage to a 1-piece zirconia abutment where both biological and mechanical complications developed, resulting in premature loss of the implant. Scanning electron microscopy showed significant damage to the internal connection of the implant. When using 1-piece zirconia abutments with a titanium internal connection, periodic recall and identification of wear is necessary, especially in patients with repeated screw loosening.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Retrieval of a fractured abutment screw thread from an implant: a case report.Br Dent J. 2008; 23: 177-180
- Prosthodontic complications in osseointegrated dental implant treatment.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 1994; 9: 90-94
- Technical and biological complications/failures with single crowns and fixed partial dentures on implants: a 10-year prospective cohort study.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2005; 16: 326-334
- Clinical complications of osseointegrated implants.J Prosthet Dent. 1999; 81: 537-552
- Preventing loosening of implant abutment screws.J Prosthet Dent. 1996; 75: 566-569
- A risk-based decision making tree for managing fractured abutment and prosthetic screws: A systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119: 552-559
- In vivo fracture resistance of implant-sup- ported all-ceramic restorations.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 90: 325-331
- Bacterial colonization of zirconia ceramic surfaces: An in vitro and in vivo study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2002; 17: 793-798
- Experimental zirconia abutments for implant-supported single-tooth restorations in esthetically demanding regions: 4-year results of a prospective clinical study.Int J Prosthodont. 2004; 17: 285-290
- The ZiReal Post: a new ceramic implant abutment.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2003; 15: 10-23
- Wear at the titanium–zirconia implant–abutment interface: a pilot study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2011; 26: 970-975
- Titanium tattooing associated with zirconia implant abutments: a clinical report of two cases.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29: 958-960
- Implications of wear at the titanium-zirconia implant-abutment interface on the health of peri-implant tissues.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2017; 32: 599-609
- The effect of zirconia or titanium as abutment material on soft peri-implant tissues: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26: 139-147
- Fracture resistance of titanium and zirconia abutments: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 304-312
- Clinical outcomes of implant abutments in the anterior region: a systematic review.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2013; 25: 159-176
- Effect of fatigue loading on the fracture strength and failure mode of lithium disilicate and zirconia implant abutments.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2018; 29: 20-27
- Occlusion in implant dentistry. A review of the literature of prosthetic determinants and current concepts.Aust Dent J. 2008; 53: S60-S68
Published online: June 12, 2019
© 2018 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.