This article describes a technique for surgically extruding severely compromised roots needing prosthetic rehabilitation. Unlike previously described approaches, the technique does not require advanced clinical skills or equipment, may reduce the risk of tooth or bone fracture during the luxation maneuvers, and does not seem to interfere with the alveolar socket healing process.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Crown lengthening and restorative procedures in the esthetic zone.Periodontol 2000. 2018; 77: 84-92
- A systematic review and meta-analysis on the effects of crown lengthening on adjacent and non-adjacent sites.Clin Oral Investig. 2017; 21: 7-16
- Forced eruption of a solitary nonrestorable tooth using mini-implants as anchorage: rationale and technique.Int J Prosthodont. 2009; 22: 441-446
- Orthodontic extrusion in the transitional dentition: a simple technique.Pediatr Dent. 2009; 31: 520-522
- Intra-alveolar transplantation of teeth with cervical root fractures.Swed Dent J. 1978; 2: 73-82
- Periodontal status of anterior teeth following clinical crown lengthening by minimally traumatic controlled surgical extrusion.Dent Traumatol. 2018; 34: 455-463
- Surgical extrusion as a treatment option for crown-root fracture in permanent anterior teeth: a systematic review.Dent Traumatol. 2013; 29: 423-431
- Surgical extrusion: a simplified esthetic method of treating non-restorable teeth. Rationale and case report.Int J Esthet Dent. 2018; 13: 240-273
- Atraumatic surgical extrusion to improve tooth restorability: a clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 649-653
- Surgical extrusion with an atraumatic extraction system: a clinical study.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 879-885
- Implant site development by orthodontic extrusion. a systematic review.Angle Orthod. 2008; 78: 752-760
- Efficacy of two site-development procedures for implants in the maxillary esthetic region: a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2015; 30: 73-94
- Atraumatic vertical tooth extraction: a proof of principle clinical study of a novel system.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 116: e303-e310
- Effect of extra-alveolar period and storage media upon periodontal and pulpal healing after replantation of mature permanent incisors in monkeys.Int J Oral Surg. 1981; 10: 43-53
Published online: February 14, 2020
© 2019 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.