Statement of problem
Soft-tissue attachment to different surfaces may play a pivotal role in the long-term success of dental implants. However, studies on the issue, especially on newer materials, are sparse.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the viability and adhesion of human gingival fibroblasts (HGFs) on different implant abutment materials with specific surface modifications.
Material and methods
One hundred and fifty specimens in 6 experimental groups were evaluated: smooth-machined titanium alloy (Ti), laser-modified titanium (TiL), smooth-machined polyetheretherketone (PEEK) (P), laser-modified PEEK (PL), plasma-treated PEEK (PP), laser- and plasma-treated PEEK (PLP). Machined Ti was considered as the control group. Surface roughness (Sa), water contact angle (WCA), and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) were measured. HGF attachment and proliferation were observed at 1, 3, and 7 days after cell seeding. Comparison of the means among the groups was performed with 1-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) with post hoc comparison using the Tukey test (α=.05).
Sa values of the laser modified groups were significantly higher than those of the nonmodified (smooth-machined) groups (P<.001). WCAs were significantly different among PEEK groups, and plasma-sprayed groups had the lowest WCAs. XPS analysis of both Ti and PEEK groups showed laser treatment did not have any significant effect on the surface composition of the PEEK as the same bonds with similar ratio/fraction were detected in the spectrum of the modified specimens. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) revealed more functionally oriented HGF cells on the laser-grooved surfaces. On the first, third, and seventh day of proliferation, the titanium groups showed no significant differences (P>.05). On the first and third days of proliferation, the plasma sprayed groups (PP, PLP) showed significantly greater proliferation than all experimental groups (P<.001). On the seventh day of proliferation, statistically significant differences were observed between all PEEK groups and between all PEEK groups and the Ti group (P<.001), with the exception of the PL and P groups and the PLP and Ti groups (P>.05).
Laser-modified titanium and PEEK surfaces led to guided gingival fibroblast attachment. Plasma treatment of PEEK surfaces increased the wettability of this polymer and improved proliferation of HGF.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Human gingival fibroblast (HGF-1) attachment and proliferation on several abutment materials with various colors.Int J Oral Max Impl. 2014; 29: 969-975
- Soft tissue stability at the facial aspect of gingivally converging abutments in the esthetic zone: a pilot clinical study.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 97: S119-S125
- Platform switching: a new concept in implant dentistry for controlling postrestorative crestal bone levels.Int J Periodont Rest. 2006; 26: 9-17
- Facial gingival tissue stability after connective tissue graft with single immediate tooth replacement in the esthetic zone: consecutive case report.J Oral Max Surg. 2009; 67: 40-48
- Fracture resistance of titanium and zirconia abutments: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 304-312
- Wear at the titanium-zirconia implant-abutment interface: a pilot study.Int J Oral Max Impl. 2010; 26: 970-975
- Wear at the titanium–titanium and the titanium–zirconia implant–abutment interface: a comparative in vitro study.Dent Mater. 2012; 28: 1215-1220
- Biofilm formation on the surface of modern implant abutment materials.Clin Oral Implan Res. 2015; 26: 1297-1301
- Selective responses of human gingival fibroblasts and bacteria on carbon fiber reinforced polyetheretherketone with multilevel nanostructured TiO2.Biomaterials. 2016; 83: 207-218
- Peri-implant tissue behavior around non-titanium material: Experimental study in dogs.Annals of Anatomy-Anatomischer Anzeiger. 2016; 206: 104-109
- Criteria for success of osseointegrated endosseous implants.J Prosthet Dent. 1989; 62: 567-572
- Statements from the Estepona consensus meeting on peri-implantitis. February 2-4, 2012.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2012; 14: 781-782
- Biological aspects of implant dentistry.Periodontol. 2000; 4: 58-73
- Does implant staging choice affect crestal bone loss?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 307-313
- Basic research methods and current trends of dental implant surfaces.J Biomed Mater Res. 2009; 88B: 579-596
- Classification of osseointegrated implant surfaces: materials, chemistry and topography.Trends Biotechnol. 2010; 28: 198-206
- The impact of a laser-microtextured collar on crestal bone level and clinical parameters under various placement and loading protocols.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29: 354-363
- Soft tissue conditions and marginal bone levels of implants with a laser-microtextured collar: A 5-year, retrospective, controlled study.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2015; 26: 257-262
- Influence of a Laser-Lok surface on immediate functional loading of implants in single-tooth replacement: Three-year results of a prospective randomized clinical study on soft tissue response and esthetics.Int J Periodont Rest. 2015; 35: 865-875
- Incidence of peri-implant diseases on implants with and without laser-microgrooved collar: a 5-year retrospective study carried out in private practice patients.Int J Oral Max Impl. 2018; 33: 457-465
- Periodontal tissues and their counterparts around endosseous implants [corrected and republished with original paging, article originally printed in.Clin Oral Implants Res. 1991; 2: 1-19
- The defense architecture of the human peri implant mucosa: A histological study.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 97: s15-s25
- Peri-implant collagen fibers around human cone Morse connection implants under polarized light: A report of three cases.Int J Periodont Rest. 2012; 32: 323-328
- Histologic evidence of a connective tissue attachment to laser micro- grooved abutments: A canine study.Int J Periodont Rest. 2010; 30: 245-255
- Human histologic evidence of a connective tissue attachment to a dental implant.Int J Periodont Rest. 2008; 28: 111-121
- Influence of transmucosal designs of three one-piece implant systems on early tissue responses: A histometric study in beagle dogs.Int J Oral Max Impl. 2010; 25: 309-314
- Titanium-coated micro- machined grooves of different dimensions affect epithelial and connective-tissue cells differently in vivo.J Biomed Mater Res. 1990; 24: 1203-1219
- Mechanical and biological characteristics of diamond-like carbon coated poly aryl-ether- ether-ketone.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 8181-8187
- The effects of the surface topography of micromachined titanium substrata on cell behavior in vitro and in vivo.J Biomech Eng. 1999; 121: 49-57
- Influence of microtextured implant surfaces on peri-implantitis and its treatment: a preclinical trial.Int J Oral Max Impl. 2018; 33: 51-57
- Plasma and short pulse laser treatment of medical grade PEEK surfaces for controlled wetting.Mater Lett. 2013; 109: 261-264
- Relative importance of surface wettability and charged functional groups on NIH 3T3 fibroblast attachment, spreading, and cytoskeletal organization.J Biomed Mater Res. 1998; 41: 422-430
- Differential behavior of fibroblasts and epithelial cells on structured implant abutment materials: a comparison of materials and surface topographies.Clin Implant Dent R. 2015; 17: 1237-1249
- Wetting and roughness.Annu Rev Mater Res. 2008; 38: 71-99
- Superhydrophobic properties of ultrathin rf-sputtered Teflon films coated etched aluminum surfaces.Mater Lett. 2008; 62: 1226-1229
- Morphology, proliferation, and gene expression of gingival fibroblasts on Laser-Lok, titanium, and zirconia surfaces.Laser Med Sci. 2016; 31: 863-873
- The effects of laser microtextured collars upon crestal bone levels of dental implants.Implant Dent. 2008; 17: 217-228
- Cell response to surfaces: a concise summary.Int J Periodont Rest. 2016; 36: s39-s46
Published online: February 18, 2020
Supported by the American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics for the Tylman Grant.
© 2020 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.