- 1.Make a definitive impression of the tissue and healing abutments. Fabricate a definitive cast. If the healing abutments might fracture when separating the cast from the impression, fabricate resin dies with autopolymerizing acrylic resin (Pattern Resin LS; GC America Inc) and dowel pins (World Dowel Pin; World D&D).
- 2.Using a pencil, draw a cross around the healing abutments to indicate their centers. Draw parallel lines to each axis of the healing abutments on the lateral surfaces of the cast. Prepare grooves on the healing abutments with a laboratory bur (H33.104.012; Komet Dental) (Fig. 1).
- 3.Cut an 8-mm-diameter straw into 5-mm lengths with scissors (9 Dean Scissors; Hu-Friedy). Place the straw on the cast in accordance with the marks. Inject a transparent polyvinyl siloxane occlusal registration material (Memosil 2; Kulzer GmbH) into the straw with an automix gun (Fig. 2A). After polymerization, remove the straw and excess with a blade (No. 15 Scalpel Blade; Paragon) (Fig. 2B).
- 4.Fabricate the definitive IOD in accorance with conventional prosthodontic principles (Fig. 3).9,10
- An international survey among prosthodontists of the use of mandibular implant-supported dental prostheses.J Prosthodont. 2019; 28: e622-e626
- Clinical assessment of short implants retaining removable partial dentures: 4-year follow-up.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2020; 35: 207-213
- Techniques for incorporation of attachments in implant-retained overdentures with unsplinted abutments.J Prosthet Dent. 2012; 107: 288-299
- Implant restorations: a step-by-step guide. 114-5. Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken2020: 124-125 4th ed.
- A procedure for relieving an existing prosthesis to fit implant abutments.J Prosthet Dent. 2008; 100: 72-73
- Implant overdentures retained by self-aligning stud-type attachments: a clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 6-14
- The role of abutment-attachment selection in resolving inadequate interarch distance: a clinical report.J Prosthodont. 2005; 14: 184-190
- Classification and management of restorative space in edentulous implant overdenture patients.J Prosthet Dent. 2011; 105: 332-337
- McCracken's removable partial prosthodontics.13th ed. Elsevier, St. Louis2016: 242-282
- Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients.13th ed. Elsevier, St. Louis2013: 330-339