- 1.Identify the damaged structure from detailed clinical and radiographic examination.
- 2.Cut the active end from a round tungsten carbide bur size 016 (H1 RA 016; Komet), and modify the remaining shaft with a crown cutter bur (H4MC FG 012; Komet) to form a slotted screwdriver tip with flat base and side walls (Fig. 1A.).
- 3.Insert the custom screwdriver shaft into a connector for the rachet (034.005; Straumann) (Fig. 1B.).
- 4.Form a receptive notch in the center of the damaged abutment with a cavity preparation high-speed bur (H7S FG 010; Komet), and unscrew it with the screwdriver (Fig. 2).
CRediT authorship contribution statement:
- An alternative approach for the management of fractured implant abutment screws on a mandibular implant-retained overdenture: A clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 402-405
- A technique to retrieve a fractured implant abutment screw by using a screwdriver fashioned from a needle.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 709-710
- Heat generation during removal of an abutment screw fragment from dental implants.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119: 620-625
- An accessory technique for the intraoral removal of a fractured implant abutment screw.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 812-815
- Using the screw shank as a retrieval tool: A straightforward approach to removing screws with diagonal fractures.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 535-536