Statement of problem
Material and methods
Material and methods
- Doyle F.
- Freedland K.
- Carney R.
- de Jonge P.
- Dickens C.
- Pedersen S.
- et al.
- Al-Moraissi E.A.
- Christidis N.
- Schiffman E.
- Ohrbach R.
- Truelove E.
- Look J.
- Anderson G.
- Goulet J.P.
- et al.
- Schünemann H.B.J.
- Guyatt G.
- Oxman A.
- 1.No significant difference was found in reported pain intensity at follow-ups between treating patients with painful TMDs with SA or nonoccluding appliances (active placebo).
- 2.A significant difference was found in participants reporting treatment satisfaction with reduced pain and a significantly lower NNT in favor of SA.
- 3.Patient-reported treatment satisfaction probably included more domains than just pain intensity, such as improvements in physical functioning as well as psychosocial factors, and deserves further investigation.
- 4.Based on these findings, the authors concluded that SA treatment efficacy is beyond the placebo effect.
- Supplementary Table 1
- Supplementary Table 2
- Supplementary Table 3
- Supplementary Table 4
- Supplementary Table 5
- Supplementary Table 6
- Supplementary Table 7
- Supplementary Table 8
- TMD treatment need in relation to age, gender, stress, and diagnostic subgroup.J Orofac Pain. 1998; 12: 67-74
- Home-exercise regimes for the management of non-specific temporomandibular disorders.J Oral Rehabil. 2005; 32: 779-785
- Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 4: CD011279
- A meta-analytic review of the hypoalgesic effects of exercise.J Pain. 2012; 13: 1139-1150
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of exercise, manual therapy, electrotherapy, relaxation training, and biofeedback in the management of temporomandibular disorder.Phys Ther. 2006; 86: 955-973
- Clinical experience with flupirtine in the U.S.Postgrad Med J. 1987; 63 Suppl 3: 81-85
- The evolution of cognitive behavior therapy: a personal and professional journey with Don Meichenbaum.Taylor & Francis, New York2017: 132-154
- Fordyce's behavioral methods for chronic pain and illness.Wolters Kluwer Health, Philadelphia2015: 207-266
- Effect of manual therapy and splint therapy in people with temporomandibular disorders: a preliminary study.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: E2411
- Needling therapies in the management of myofascial pain of the masticatory muscles: a network meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials.J Oral Rehabil. 2020; 47: 910-922
- Electrical stimulation in the nervous system: the current status of electrical stimulation of the nervous system for relief of pain.Pain. 1975; 1: 109-123
- Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion.8th ed. Elsevier Health Sciences, St. Louis2019: 260-372
- Ethyl chloride spray for painful muscle spasm.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1952; 33: 291-298
- Management of TMD: evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analyses.J Oral Rehabil. 2010; 37: 430-451
- Clinical effect of full coverage occlusal splint therapy for specific temporomandibular disorder conditions and symptoms.J Prosthet Dent. 1997; 78: 506-510
- Treatment outcome of appliance therapy in temporomandibular disorder patients with myofascial pain after 6 and 12 months.Acta Odontol Scand. 2004; 62: 343-349
- Occlusal appliance therapy in patients with temporomandibular disorders. A double-blind controlled study in a short-term perspective.Acta Odontol Scand. 1998; 56: 122-128
- Treatment of temporomandibular disorders among adolescents: a comparison between occlusal appliance, relaxation training, and brief information.Acta Odontol Scand. 2003; 61: 203-211
- Vectorial analysis of the equilibrium of forces transmitted to TMJ and occlusal biteplane splints.J Oral Rehabil. 1995; 22: 301-310
- Nocturnal electromyographic evaluation of bruxism patients undergoing short term splint therapy.J Oral Rehabil. 1975; 2: 215-223
- Nocturnal masseter muscle activity and urinary catecholamine levels in bruxers.J Dent Res. 1980; 59: 1571-1576
- Nocturnal electromyographic evaluation of myofascial pain dysfunction in patients undergoing occlusal splint therapy.J Am Dent Assoc. 1979; 99: 607-611
- The effects of hard and soft occlusal splints on nocturnal bruxism.J Am Dent Assoc. 1987; 114: 788-791
- A clinical and electromyographic study of the long-term effects of an occlusal splint on the temporal and masseter muscles in patients with functional disorders and nocturnal bruxism.J Oral Rehabil. 1986; 13: 137-145
- Effectiveness of a prefabricated occlusal appliance in patients with temporomandibular joint pain: a randomized controlled multicenter study.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28: 128-137
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials evaluating intraoral orthopedic appliances for temporomandibular disorders.J Orofac Pain. 2010; 24: 237-254
- A retrospective analysis of temporomandibular findings among Israeli-born patients based on the RDC/TMD.J Oral Rehabil. 2009; 36: 11-17
- Occlusal stabilization appliances. Evidence of their efficacy.J Am Dent Assoc. 2001; 132: 770-777
- Occlusal treatments in temporomandibular disorders: a qualitative systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Pain. 1999; 83: 549-560
- The efficacy of oral splints in the treatment of myofascial pain of the jaw muscles: a controlled clinical trial.Pain. 1994; 56: 85-94
- Treatment of temporomandibular disorders by stabilising splints in general dental practice: results after initial treatment.Br Dent J. 2004; 197: 35-41
- The efficacy of traditional, low-cost and nonsplint therapies for temporomandibular disorder: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137: 1099-1107
- Effectiveness of occlusal splint therapy in the management of temporomandibular disorders: network meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 49: 1042-1056
- Placebo and the new physiology of the doctor-patient relationship.Physiol Rev. 2013; 93: 1207-1246
- Placebo effects in medicine.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 8-9
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Syst Rev. 2015; 4: 1
- Network meta-analysis of randomised trials of pharmacological, psychotherapeutic, exercise and collaborative care interventions for depressive symptoms in patients with coronary artery disease: hybrid systematic review of systematic reviews protocol.Syst Rev. 2019; 8: 71
- Are the beneficial effects of occlusal splint therapy beyond the placebo effect in managing temporomandibular disorders? PROSPERO.(CRD42020178231. Available at:)https://www.crd.york.ac.uk/prospero/display_record.php?ID=CRD42020178231Date: 2020Date accessed: August 29, 2020
- What is your research question? An introduction to the PICOT format for clinicians.J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2012; 56: 167-171
- Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: review, criteria, examinations and specifications, critique.J Craniomandib Disord. 1992; 6: 301-355
- Diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (DC/TMD) for clinical and research applications: recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group.J Oral Facial Pain Headache. 2014; 28: 6-27
- Higgins J.P.T. Thomas J. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Li T. Page M.J. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 6.0. 2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester2019: 205-228
- GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.BMJ. 2008; 336: 924-926
- GRADE handbook for grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations.(Available at:)
- GRADEpro GDT: GRADEpro guideline development tool [software], McMaster University, (developed by Evidence Prime, Inc).(Available at:)
- Exploring the geometry of treatment networks.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 544-553
- Stata statistical software: release 13.StataCorp, College Station, TX2013
- Network meta-analysis.Stata J. 2015; 15: 951-985
- Comprehensive meta-analysis version 3.2nd ed. Biostat, Englewood, NJ2013
- Consistency and inconsistency in network meta-analysis: concepts and models for multi-arm studies.Res Synth Methods. 2012; 3: 98-110
- The rank-heat plot is a novel way to present the results from a network meta-analysis including multiple outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 76: 193-199
- Graphical methods and numerical summaries for presenting results from multiple-treatment meta-analysis: an overview and tutorial.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 163-171
- Effectiveness of the Michigan splint in reducing functional cervical disturbances: a preliminary study.Cranio. 1997; 15: 132-135
- The treatment of painful temporomandibular joint clicking with oral splints: a randomized clinical trial.J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137: 1108-1114
- Correlation of splint therapy outcome with the electromyography of masticatory muscles in temporomandibular disorder with myofascial pain.Acta Odontol Scand. 2012; 70: 72-77
- The efficacy of appliance therapy in patients with temporomandibular disorders of mainly myogenous origin. A randomized, controlled, short-term trial.J Orofac Pain. 2003; 17: 133-139
- Acupuncture in treatment of facial muscular pain.Acta Odontol Scand. 1991; 49: 153-158
- Efficiency of occlusal appliance therapy in secondary otalgia and temporomandibular disorders.Acta Odontol Scand. 2002; 60: 248-254
- Anterior repositioning splint in the treatment of temporomandibular joints with reciprocal clicking: comparison with a flat occlusal splint and an untreated control group.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1985; 60: 131-136
- Disk-repositioning onlays in the treatment of temporomandibular joint disk displacement: comparison with a flat occlusal splint and with no treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1988; 66: 155-162
- Temporomandibular joint disk displacement without reduction. Treatment with flat occlusal splint versus no treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992; 73: 655-658
- Long-term efficacy of resilient appliance therapy in TMD pain patients: a randomised, controlled trial.J Oral Rehabil. 2011; 38: 713-721
- Widespread pain and the effectiveness of oral splints in myofascial face pain.J Am Dent Assoc. 2001; 132: 305-316
- Conventional and nonoccluding splint therapy compared for patients with myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome.Gen Dent. 1987; 35: 502-506
- Effect of occlusal splints for the management of patients with myofascial pain: a randomized, controlled, double-blind study.Chin Med J. 2013; 126: 2270-2275
- Is hyaluronic acid injection effective for the treatment of temporomandibular joint disc displacement with reduction?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 1728-1740
- Acupuncture and occlusal splint therapy in the treatment of craniomandibular disorders. Part I. A comparative study.Swed Dent J. 1992; 16: 125-141
- CGRP plasma level changes in patients with temporomandibular disorders treated with occlusal splints - a randomised clinical trial.Endokrynol Pol. 2014; 65: 217-223
- Effects of intraoral appliance and biofeedback/stress management alone and in combination in treating pain and depression in patients with temporomandibular disorders.J Prosthet Dent. 1993; 70: 158-164
- A randomized clinical trial of intraoral soft splints and palliative treatment for masticatory muscle pain.J Orofac Pain. 1995; 9: 192-199
- Anterior midline point stop device (AMPS) in the treatment of myogenous TMDs: comparison with the stabilization splint and control group.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 101: 741-747
- A 6- and 12-month follow-up of appliance therapy in TMD patients: a follow-up of a controlled trial.Int J Prosthodont. 2002; 15: 564-570
- Occlusal stabilization splint for patients with temporomandibular disorders: meta-analysis of short and long term effects.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0171296
- Stabilization splint therapy for the treatment of temporomandibular myofascial pain: a systematic review.J Dent Educ. 2005; 69: 1242-1250
- Relative efficacy of oral analgesics after third molar extraction--a 2011 update.Br Dent J. 2011; 211: 419-420
- Salicylate-containing rubefacients for acute and chronic musculoskeletal pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 2014: CD007403
- Topical NSAIDs for acute musculoskeletal pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015: CD007402
- Repeated tender point injections of granisetron alleviate chronic myofascial pain--a randomized, controlled, double-blinded trial.J Headache Pain. 2015; 16: 104
- Efficacy of botulinum toxin type A for treatment of persistent myofascial TMD pain: a randomized, controlled, double-blind multicenter study.Pain. 2011; 152: 1988-1996
- Treating chronic pain: how do we measure success?.N Y State Dent J. 2000; 66: 34
- Five-year outcomes in TMD: relationship of changes in pain to changes in physical and psychological variables.Pain. 1998; 74: 315-326
- Differential treatment responses of TMD patients as a function of psychological characteristics.Pain. 1995; 61: 103-112
- Temporomandibular disorder subtypes according to self-reported physical and psychosocial variables in female patients: a re-evaluation.J Oral Rehabil. 2005; 32: 166-173
- Cognitive-behavioral treatments for chronic pain: what works for whom?.Clin J Pain. 2005; 21: 1-8
- Cognitive modulation of pain: how do attention and emotion influence pain processing?.Pain. 2002; 95: 195-199
- Pain perception: is there a role for primary somatosensory cortex?.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999; 96: 7705-7709
- An experimental study of attention, labelling and memory in people suffering from chronic pain.Pain. 2001; 94: 193-203
- Psychological aspects of neuropathic pain.Clin J Pain. 2000; 16: S101-S105
- Pain and emotion: effects of affective picture modulation.Psychosom Med. 2001; 63: 79-90
- Selective attentional bias for pain-related stimuli amongst pain fearful individuals.Pain. 2001; 91: 91-100
- The placebo treatments in neurosciences: New insights from clinical and neuroimaging studies.Neurology. 2008; 71: 677-684
- A comparison of placebo effects in clinical analgesic trials versus studies of placebo analgesia.Pain. 2002; 99: 443-452
- Endogenous opiates and the placebo effect: a meta-analytic review.J Psychosom Res. 2005; 58: 115-120
- Direct comparison of placebo effects on clinical and experimental pain.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 204-211
- Endogenous opioid function and responses to morphine: the moderating effects of anger expressiveness.J Pain. 2017; 18: 923-932
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy