Although orofacial cancer leads to substantial functional, esthetic, and psychosocial deficits for patients, reconstructive plastic surgeries may not be indicated for large facial defects. The high costs of prosthetic oral maxillofacial rehabilitation may hamper such treatment, which commonly involves virtual planning, craniofacial implants, and computer-aided design and computer-aided manufactured prostheses. This report shows the treatment of 2 patients with large facial defects from surgical resection of cancerous tissue who were rehabilitated with implant-supported bar-clip overdentures and facial prostheses fabricated by using low-cost straightforward methods.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Soft tissue response and survival of extraoral implants: a long-term follow-up.J Oral Implantol. 2016; 42: 41-45
- Extraoral prostheses using extraoral implants.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 40: 378-383
- Quality of life of patients with implant-retained maxillofacial prostheses: a prospective and retrospective study.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 44-52
- Prosthetics in facial reconstruction.Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2018; 11: 6-14
- Applications of computer technology in complex craniofacial reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018; 6: e1655
- Health-related quality of life in patients with nasal prosthesis.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2016; 44: 75-79
- Extraoral implants in the rehabilitation of craniofacial defects: implant and prosthesis survival rates and peri-implant soft tissue evaluation.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 1551-1557
- Advancements in craniofacial prosthesis fabrication: a narrative review of holistic treatment.J Adv Prosthodont. 2018; 10: 430-439
- Function of obturator prosthesis after maxillectomy and prosthetic obturator rehabilitation.Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2016; 82: 177-183
- Implant-retained craniofacial prostheses for facial defects.GMS Curr Top Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009; 8: Doc03
- Color matching in facial prosthetics: a systematic review.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2017; 17: 3-7
- Surgical and prosthetic considerations to rehabilitate an ocular defect using extraoral implants: a clinical report.J Prosthodont. 2012; 21: 205-208
- Genomic identification of microbial species adhering to maxillofacial prostheses and susceptibility to different hygiene protocols.Biofouling. 2018; 34: 15-25
Published online: December 07, 2020
© 2020 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.