Zygomatic implants are an established treatment option in the management of the atrophic maxilla and in oncology rehabilitation, but evidence for their use in patients with a history of cleft palate is sparse. Zygomatic implants were used to retain a maxillary prosthesis in 7 edentulous patients with an unrepaired or repaired cleft lip and palate. Patient records were reviewed retrospectively to assess the survival rates. The mean follow-up time was 5 years with an implant survival of 100%. Most complications were associated with the prosthetic superstructures. This clinical report demonstrates that zygomatic implants can be successfully used to provide a maxillary prosthesis in patients with a history of cleft palate.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Severely scarred oronasal cleft defects in edentulous adults: initial data on the long-term outcome of telescoped obturator prostheses supported by zygomatic implants.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2013; 50: 74-83
- Restorative management of the cleft patient: CLP series part 10.Ortho Update. 2014; 7: 42-47
- Use of osseointegrated implants to support a maxillary denture for a patient with repaired cleft lip and palate.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1993; 30: 418-420
- Dental implants in cleft lip, alveolus and palate patients: a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014; 29: 384-390
- Primary vs secondary zygomatic implant placement in patients with head and neck cancer – a 10 year prospective study.Head Neck. 2019; 41: 1687-1695
- Survival and complications of zygomatic implants: an updated systematic review.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 1949-1964
- Survival and complications of zygomatic implants: a systematic review.Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 17: 18
- Rehabilitation of an edentulous maxilla in a patient with isolated cleft palate.Dent Update. 2016; 43: 214-216
- Zygomatic implants: indications, techniques and outcomes, and the zygomatic success code.Periodontol 2000. 2014; 66: 41-58
- Rehabilitation of a patient with cleft lip and palate with an extremely edentulous atrophied posterior maxilla using zygomatic implants: case report.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2004; 41: 571-574
- Zygomatic and maxillary implants inserted by means of computer-assisted surgery in a patient with a cleft palate.J Craniofac Surg. 2010; 21: 858-862
- A classification of the edentulous jaws.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1988; 17: 232-236
- A new method to eliminate the risk of maxillary sinusitis with zygomatic implants.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2010; 25: 1233-1240
- One abutment at one time: non-removal of an immediate abutment and its effect on bone healing around subcrestal tapered implants.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2011; 22: 1303-1307
- Is bruxism a risk factor for dental implants? A systematic review of the literature.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2014; 16: 460-469
- Zygomatic implants an innovative treatment approach.Int J Innov Sci Res Technol. 2018; 3: 478-480
Published online: January 13, 2021
© 2020 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.