Statement of problem
Implant-supported overdentures with a splinted or nonsplinted attachment system have been a successful treatment option for edentulous mandibles with excessive hard tissue resorption. Currently, the 2 most common treatment approaches for an implant overdenture uses either a bar attachment system (splinted) or resilient (LOCATOR)-attachment system (nonsplinted). The LOCATOR-attachment system is often chosen for the lower initial cost. However, whether the ongoing maintenance costs of the LOCATOR-attachment system increase the overall cost of this system is unclear.
The purpose of this retrospective study was to investigate the frequency of maintenance procedures, complications, and costs associated with the LOCATOR-supported overdenture treatment.
Material and methods
The retrospective data of 75 patients who had received implant-supported overdentures with LOCATOR-attachments at the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine in the previous 10 years were collected and screened to evaluate the number of maintenance visits, type of complications, and cost (actual fees for the service) of the maintenance visits. The data were analyzed, and the mean values calculated.
The average number of maintenance visits was 7.7 in the mean observation time of 5.2 years. Replacement of the attachment was the most frequent complication (63%). The average maintenance cost charged to the patient for maintenance was 56.2% ($795) of the initial cost over the average 5.2 years of follow-up. The average total maintenance cost (actual fees for the service) was 95.4% ($1349) of the initial cost over the average of 5.2 years of follow-up. The average maintenance cost adjusted or lost over the 5.2 years follow-up was 39.2%.
The 5-year costs for the maintenance of mandibular overdentures with a LOCATOR-attachment system were equal to or higher than the initial cost of the treatment. The number of maintenance visits and the cost were higher for patients who were older than 75 years
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence and patterns of tooth loss in U.S. employed adult and senior populations 1985-86.J Dent Educ. 1988; 52: 686-691
- Tooth retention and tooth loss in the permanent dentition of adults: United States, 1988-1991.J Dent Res. 1996; (75 Spec No): 684-695
- Profile of Older Americans 2017.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Census Bureau, 2018
- Profile of Older Americans 2018.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Census Bureau, 2018
- Dental caries and tooth loss in adults in the United Sates, 2011-2012.NCHS Data Brief. 2015; 197: 197
- The continuing reduction of the residual alveolar ridges in complete denture wearers: a mixed-longitudinal study covering 25 years. 1972.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 427-435
- Treatment outcomes with implant-supported overdentures: clinical considerations.J Prosthet Dent. 1998; 79: 66-73
- The McGill Consensus Statement on Overdentures. Montreal, Quebec, Canada May 24-25, 2002.Int J Prosthodont. 2002; 15: 413-414
- A 5-year prospective randomized clinical trial on the influence of splinted and unsplinted oral implants retaining a mandibular overdenture: prosthetic aspects and patient satisfaction.J Oral Rehabil. 1999; 26: 195-202
- Attachment systems for mandibular implant overdentures: a systematic review.J Adv Prosthodont. 2012; 4: 197-203
- Prosthodontic treatment for edentulous patients-E-book: Complete dentures and implant-supported prostheses.Elsevier Health Sciences, St Louis2013: 53-55
- Treatment planning of the edentulous mandible.Br Dent J. 2006; 201: 337-347
- Maxillary four implant-retained overdentures via Locator® attachment: Intermediate-term results from a retrospective study.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2016; 18: 571-579
- Prosthodontic maintenance requirements of implant-retained overdentures using the locator attachment system.J Prosthodont. 2012; 25: 392-394
- Prosthetic complications and maintenance requirements in LOCATOR-attached implant-supported overdentures: a retrospective study.Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2016; 24: 31-35
- Clinical evaluation of mandibular implant overdentures via LOCATOR implant attachment and LOCATOR bar attachment.J Adv Prosthodont. 2016; 8: 313-320
- Treatment planning of the edentulous maxilla.Br Dent J. 2006; 201: 261-279
- Problems with prostheses on implants: a retrospective study.J Prosthet Dent. 1994; 71: 283-288
- A prospective study on the maintenance of implant prostheses in private practice.Int J Prosthodont. 1997; 10: 453-458
- Optimized therapy for the edentulous predicament: cost-effectiveness considerations.J Prosthet Dent. 1998; 79: 93-99
Published online: February 06, 2021
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.