Statement of problem
Although the clinical use of self-adhesive flowable composite resins is convenient, the decision to use flowable or conventional composite resin remains controversial.
The purpose of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to assess the in vitro bond strength of self-adhesive flowable composite resins to enamel or dentin compared with conventional composite resins using etch-and-rinse or self-etch adhesive systems.
Material and methods
Two independent reviewers performed searches in the PubMed (MEDLINE), Cochrane Wiley, Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar databases for studies reporting on the bond strength of self-adhesive flowable and conventional composite resins to enamel and dentin published from January 2010 up to September 2020. A meta-analysis software program was used for the meta-analysis. Comparisons were conducted using standardized mean differences considering the random-effects model (α=.05).
Twenty-two studies were considered for the meta-analysis. Immediate and long-term bond strength to enamel was improved when a conventional composite resin was used in combination with an adhesive system (P<.001). Bond strength to dentin was improved by using an adhesive system in combination with a conventional composite resin (P<.001).
The bond strength of self-adhesive flowable composite resins is lower than that of conventional composite resins, indicating limited ability to bond to enamel and dentin.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bonding performance of universal adhesives: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.J Adhes Dent. 2019; 21: 7-26
- Buonocore memorial lecture. Adhesion to enamel and dentin: current status and future challenges.Oper Dent. 2003; 28: 215-235
- Direct dentin bonding technique sensitivity when using air/suction drying steps.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008 Apr; 20: 130-138
- Technique-sensitivity of contemporary adhesives.Dent Mater J. 2005; 24: 1-13
- Microtensile bond strength and failure modes of flowable composites on primary dentin with application of different adhesive strategies.Contemp Clin Dent. 2017; 8: 373-379
- Does the use of a novel self-adhesive flowable composite reduce nanoleakage?.Clin Cosmet Investig Dent. 2015; 7: 55-64
- Self-adhering composite. Directions of use. [Internet].(Available at:)https://kavokerr.widen.net/content/cu6lq2wby4/original/dfu-vertiseflow-80264-rev.0--1.pdf?u=18sth1&download=trueDate: 2015Date accessed: September 25, 2020
- Self-adhesive flowable composite [Internet].(Available at:)https://embed.widencdn.net/download/kavokerr/odq9w8xtsl/ifu_fusio_DMC1643_Rev0.pdf?u=18sth1Date: 2020Date accessed: September 25, 2020
- Instructions for use. [Internet].(Available at:)https://www.dmg-dental.com/fileadmin/user_upload/International/Instructions_for_use/GI_Constic_091621_int.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: September 25, 2020
- Bonding effectiveness of self-adhesive composites to dentin and enamel.Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 221-230
- The science of bonding: from first to sixth generation.J Am Dent Assoc. 2000; 131: 20-25
- Relationship between bond-strength tests and clinical outcomes.Dent Mater. 2010; 26: e100-e121
- TEM interfacial characterization of an experimental self-adhesive filling material bonded to enamel/dentin.Dent Mater. 2011; 27: 818-824
- Bonding of an auto-adhesive luting material to enamel and dentin.Dent Mater. 2004; 20: 963-971
- Microtensile bond strength and interfacial properties of self-etching and self-adhesive resin cements used to lute composite onlays under different seating forces.J Adhes Dent. 2006; 8: 327-335
- Bond strength of self-adhesive resin cements to tooth structure.Saudi Dent J. 2015; 27: 70-74
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 21: e1000097
- Assessing risk of bias in included studies.in: Higgins J. Churchill R. Chandler J. Cumpston M. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Cochrane, London, UK2017: 1-73
- COMBINE: Stata module to combine n, mean, and SD from two groups according to the Cochrane-recommended formula for meta-analyses.Boston College Department of Economics, Boston, MA2011 (Statistical Software Components)
- Evaluation of microtensile bond strength and microleakage of a self-adhering flowable composite.J Adhes Dent. 2015; 17: 535-543
- Effect of laser preparation on bond strength of a self-adhesive flowable resin.Lasers Med Sci. 2013; 28: 343-347
- Microshear bond strength of a self-adhesive composite to erbium laser-treated primary enamel.J lasers Med Sci. 2020; 11: 181-186
- Shear bond strength and tooth-composite interaction with self-adhering flowable composites.Oper Dent. 2017; 42: 90-100
- Shear bond strengths of brackets bonded with a new self-adhering resin composite.Int J Artif Organs. 2016; 39: 431-434
- Bonding and sealing ability of a new self-adhering flowable composite resin in class I restorations.Clin Oral Investig. 2013; 17: 1497-1506
- Effect of laser preparation on adhesion of a self-adhesive flowable composite resin to primary teeth.Microsc Res Tech. 2016; 79: 334-341
- Bond strength and microleakage of self-adhesive and conventional fissure sealants.Dent Mater J. 2014; 33: 530-538
- Shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets bonded with a new self-adhering flowable resin composite.Clin Oral Investig. 2013; 17: 609-617
- Bonding performance of self-adhesive flowable composites to enamel, dentin and a nano-hybrid composite.Odontology. 2018; 106: 171-180
- Evaluation of shear-bond-strength of dental self-adhering flowable resin-composite versus total-etch one to enamel and dentin surfaces: an in-vitro study.Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2019; 7: 2162-2166
- Shear bond strength of a self-adhering flowable composite when used for lingual retainer bonding.J Orofac Orthop. 2014; 75: 374-383
- Evaluation of a self-adhering flowable composite in terms of micro-shear bond strength and microleakage.Acta Odontol Scand. 2013; 71: 541-546
- Microshear bond strength to dentin of self-adhesive flowable composite compared with total-etch and all-in-one adhesives.J Dent Sci. 2016; 11: 449-456
- Comparison of microleakage and shear bond strength(SBS) of Dyad flow and Tetric flow in primary molars: an in-vitro study.J Clin Diagnostic Res. 2018; 12: ZC1-ZC5
- Shear-bond strength of a new self-adhering flowable restorative material to dentin of primary molars.J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2013; 38: 149-154
- Shear bond strength of self-adhesive flowable composite, conventional flowable composite and resin-modified glass ionomer cement to primary dentin.Front Dent. 2019; 16: 62-68
- Comparative evaluation of bond strength of self-adhering flowable composites to the dentin prepared with different burs: an in vitro study.J Conserv Dent. 2018; 21: 618
- Comparative evaluation of shear bond strength and nanoleakage of conventional and self-adhering flowable composites to primary teeth dentin.Contemp Clin Dent. 2016; 7: 326-331
- Shear bond strength of self-adhering flowable composite on dentin with and without application of an adhesive system.J Appl Biomater Funct Mater. 2014; 12: 97-101
- Assessment of self-adhesive resin composites: nondestructive imaging of resin–dentin interfacial adaptation and shear bond strength.Microsc Microanal. 2015; 21: 1523-1529
- Bonding efficacy of a new self-adhesive restorative onto flat dentin vs class-I cavity-bottom dentin.J Adhes Dent. 2020; 22: 65-77
Published online: April 07, 2021
Supported by the Teacher Professional Development Program (PRODEP, México. Grant # 511-6/19-8848) and Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior – CAPES.
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.