Statement of problem
Prosthetic rehabilitation, especially with removable complete dentures (CDs), can contribute to speech problems, although the prevalence of the problem is unclear.
The purpose of this systematic review was to examine the influence of implant-supported fixed complete dentures (FCDs), implant-supported overdentures, and removable CDs on speech articulation disorders in patients with at least 1 completely edentulous jaw.
Material and methods
This study was prepared according to the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) guidelines and registered in the International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews (CRD42020182705). The PubMed/Medline, Embase, Web of Science, Scopus, Latin American and Caribbean Health Sciences, Brazilian Clinical Trials Registry, and Cochrane Library databases were searched through April 2020 to identify clinical trials comparing maxillary and/or mandibular implant-supported dentures with removable CD use in terms of speech articulation in participants with at least 1 completely edentulous jaw. The risk of bias of selected studies was assessed with the Joanna Briggs Institute critical appraisal tools, and the quality of evidence was tested by using the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation (GRADE) approach.
Initially, 2586 articles were identified, and their titles and abstracts were read. Sixteen articles were read in full, and 8 studies (4 paired clinical trials and 4 cross-sectional studies) were included in this review. In total, 290 prosthesis users aged 29 to 90 years, approximately 44 of whom had hearing difficulties, were included. Four studies had a low risk of bias, and 4 studies had a high risk of bias. Distortions of the /s/ phoneme were observed more often in the first 6 months of maxillary FCD use than with removable CD use. Speech articulation did not differ between mandibular FCD and removable CD users. The quality of evidence for speech articulation disorders was low.
Given the low quality of evidence on speech articulation disorders, further research on speech articulation disorders in prosthesis wearers is needed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The control of orofacial movements in speech.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 1992; 3: 233-267
- Variations in articulatory movement with changes in speech task.J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2004; 47: 85-100
- Speech problems.Aust Dent J. 1967; 12: 551-553
- Assessment and treatment of articulation and phonological disorders in children.2nd ed. Pro-ed, Texas2007: 1-689
- Influence of alterations in the oral environment on speech production.J Oral Rehabil. 1995; 22: 295-299
- The social solution-denture esthetics, phonetics, and function.J Prosthodont. 2009; 18: 112-115
- Speech Sound Disorders-Articulation and Phonology [Internet]. United States of America: ASHA.([cited 2021 Jan]. Available at:)https://www.asha.org/practice-portal/clinical-topics/articulation-and-phonology/Date accessed: January 21, 2021
- Speech intelligibility enhancement after maxillary denture treatment and its impact on quality of life.Int J Prosthodont. 2014; 27: 61-69
- Comparison of speech intelligibility, articulation and oromyofunctional behaviour in subjects with single-tooth implants, fixed implant prosthetics or conventional removable prostheses.J Oral Rehabil. 2012; 39: 285-293
- Impact of fixed implant prosthetics using the 'all-on-four' treatment concept on speech intelligibility, articulation and oromyofunctional behaviour.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 41: 1550-1557
- Speech intelligibility enhancement through maxillary dental rehabilitation with telescopic prostheses and complete dentures: a prospective study using automatic, computer-based speech analysis.Int J Prosthodont. 2012; 25: 24-32
- Evaluation of speech in patients rehabilitated with various oral implant-supported prostheses.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2001; 12: 167-173
- Speech sound distortions caused by changes in complete denture morphology.J Oral Rehabil. 1985; 12: 69-79
- Speech evaluation during maxillary mini-dental implant overdenture treatment: A prospective study.J Oral Rehabil. 2019; 46: 1151-1160
- The influence of the design of removable dentures on patient's voice quality.Stomatologija. 2013; 15: 20-25
- Speech before and after treatment with bridges on osseointegrated implants in the edentulous upper jaw.Clin Oral Implants Res. 1992; 3: 57-62
- Speech adaptation after treatment of full edentulism through immediate-loaded implant protocols.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008; 19: 86-90
- On speech problems with fixed restorations on implants in the edentulous maxilla: introduction of a novel management Concept.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015; 17: e745-e750
- Modern implant dentistry based on osseointegration: 50 years of progress, current trends and open questions.Periodontol 2000. 2017; 73: 7-21
- A 5-year prospective study on cone-anchored implants in the edentulous maxilla.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015; 17: 621-632
- Patient's oral health-related quality of life and satisfaction with implant supported overdentures -a systematic review.J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2019; 9: 340-346
- Measuring patient satisfaction with mandibular prostheses.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1998; 26: 400-405
- Maxillary complete denture outcomes: a systematic review of patient-based outcomes.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2016; 31: s169-s181
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2009; 62: 1006-1012
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement.Syst Rev. 2015; 4: 1
- Effectiveness and efficiency of search methods in systematic reviews of complex evidence: audit of primary sources.BMJ. 2005; 331: 1064-1065
- Aromataris E. Munn Z. JBI Manual for Evidence Synthesis. JBI, Adelaide, Australia2020: 131-133
- Aromataris E. Munn Z. JBI Manual for Evidence Synthesis. JBI, Adelaide, Australia2020: 267-269
- Interrater reliability: the kappa statistic.Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2012; 22: 276-282
- Association between sleep bruxism and anxiety symptoms in adults: A systematic review.J Oral Rehabil. 2019; 46: 482-491
- GRADE handbook for grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. The GRADE Working Group.(Available at:)https://gdt.gradepro.org/app/handbook/handbook.htmlDate: 2013Date accessed: August 10, 2020
- Speech in connection with maxillary fixed prostheses on osseointegrated implants: a three-year follow-up study.Clin Oral Implants Res. 1992; 3: 176-180
- The influence of oral implant-supported prostheses on articulation and myofunction.Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg. 2003; 57: 73-77
- Oral myofunctional and vocal characteristics in subjects subjected to oral rehabilitation with osseointegrated implants.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2006; 17: 328-330
- Speech in different oral prosthetic rehabilitation modalities for elderly individuals [A fala nas diferentes modalidades de reabilitação oral protética em idosos].Pro Fono. 2010; 22: 151-157
- Testing the effects of regional, ethnic, and international dialects of English on listening comprehension.Lang Learn. 2005; 55: 37-69
- The impact of the auditory system on phonation: a review.J Voice. 2014; 28: 688-693
- Speech production of normally aging adults.Semin Speech Lang. 1997; 18: 135-141
- Aging and hearing health: the life-course approach.Gerontologist. 2016; 56: S256-S267
- Within-subject comparisons of maxillary fixed and removable implant prostheses: Patient satisfaction and choice of prosthesis.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2003; 14: 125-130
- Speech with maxillary implant prostheses: ratings of articulation.J Dent Res. 2004; 83: 236-240
- Patient-reported outcomes: A new era in clinical research.Perspect Clin Res. 2011; 2: 137-144
- Patient-reported outcome and its association with attachment type and bone volume in mandibular implant overdenture.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2017; 28: 535-542
- Patient-reported outcome measures focusing on aesthetics of implant- and tooth-supported fixed dental prostheses: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2018; 29: 224-240
- Power analysis and sample size calculation.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2019; 133: 214-226
Published online: April 14, 2021
Supported by São Paulo Research Foundation - Brazil (FAPESP), [grant number 2018/23013-4].
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.