This article describes a technique for recording the maxilla’s orientation in esthetically driven oral rehabilitation and transferring its position by using computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (CAD-CAM) technology. The protocol uses a Fox plane and a bubble level to orient an addition silicone key of the maxilla parallel to the occlusal reference plane. The silicone reference key was scanned, superimposed over the maxilla intraoral standard tessellation language (STL) file, and adequately oriented in a CAD software program.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The use of CAD/CAM in dentistry.Dent Clin North Am. 2011; 55: 559-570
- Advancements in CAD/CAM technology: options for practical implementation.J Prosthodont Res. 2016; 60: 72-84
- The future of dental devices is digital.Dent Mater. 2012; 28: 3-12
- Virtual facebow technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 114: 751-755
- A full-digital technique to mount a maxillary arch scan on a virtual articulator.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 28: 335-338
- Evaluation of accuracy of transfer of the maxillary occlusal cant of two articulators using two facebow/semi-adjustable articulator systems: an in vivo study.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2016; 16: 248
- Esthetic dentures and their phonetic values.J Prosthet Dent. 1951; 1: 98-111
- Digitizing the facebow: a clinician/technician communication tool.Int J Prosthodont. 2016; 29: 35-37
- The role of virtual articulator in prosthetic and restorative dentistry.J Clin Diagn Res. 2014; 8: ZE25-Z28
- Orientation of the plane of occlusion.J Prosthet Dent. 1990; 64: 31-36
- Esthetic rehabilitation in fixed prosthodontics. volume 1. Quintessence Publishing Co Inc, Berlin2008: 36-61
- Improved digital transfer of the maxillary cast to a virtual articulator.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 921-924
- Dental restorative digital workflow: digital smile design from aesthetic to function.Dent J (Basel). 2019; 7: 30
- Virtual facebow technique using standardized background images.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 724-728
- Reproducibility of natural head position in profile photographs in children aged 8 to 12 years old, with and without an auxiliary cephalostat.Dental Press J Orthod. 2010; 15: 65-73
Published online: May 25, 2021
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.