Osteopetrosis (marble bone disease) is a family of rare genetic disorders characterized by impaired osteoclast function leading to hyperdense, hypovascular, brittle bone. Typical imaging shows increased bone mass and thickened cortical and trabecular bone. Bones are more prone to fracture and osteomyelitis may develop. When considering dental implant placement in a patient with osteopetrosis, the potential for bony fracture and/or osteomyelitis should be considered along with the decreased likelihood of successful osseointegration because of hypovascularity. This clinical report describes an unusual imaging presentation and successful osseointegration of multiple dental implants supporting an implant-supported fixed mandibular prosthesis with long-term survival.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sclerosing bone disorders. Primer on the metabolic bone diseases and disorders of mineral metabolism.8th ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Ames, Iowa2008: 412-423
- Osteopetrosis.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2009; 4: 5
- Genetics, pathogenesis and complications of osteopetrosis.Bone. 2008; 42: 19-29
- Extracellular pH regulates bone cell function.J Nutr. 2008; 138: 415S-418S
- Case report of osteomyelitis of the mandible in osteopetrosis and management considerations.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2021; 81: 105813
- Albers-Schönberg disease (autosomal dominant osteopetrosis, type II) results from mutations in the ClCN7 chloride channel gene.Hum Mol Genet. 2001; 10: 2861-2867
- Prosthetic aspects in adult osteopetrosis.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 736-740
- Bone within a bone.Clin Radiol. 2004; 59: 132-144
- Correlation of bone vascularity in the posterior mandible and subsequent implant stability: a preliminary study.Implant Dent. 2014; 23: 200-205
- Ultrastructural analyses of alveolar Bone in a patient with osteomyelitis secondary to osteopetrosis: a review of the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 1584-1595
- Dental management in autosomal recessive (intermediate) osteopetrosis: a case report.Pediatr Dent. 2010; 32: 542-545
- Dental implants and osteomyelitis in a patient with osteopetrosis.Quintessence Int (Berl). 2014; 45: 765-768
- Three-dimensional analysis of the casting accuracy of one-piece, osseointegrated implant-retained prostheses.International Journal of Prosthodontics. 1993; 6: 346-363
- Oral rehabilitation of an osteopetrosis patient with osteomyelitis.Case Rep Dent. 2016; 2016: 1-3
- Osteoclast heterogeneity; Lessons from osteopetrosis and inflammatory conditions.Biochim Biophys Acta - Mol Basis Dis. 2009; 1792: 757-765
- Tooth eruption without roots.J Dent Res. 2013; 92: 212-214
- Implants in adolescents.J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2013; 17: 546-548
- Malignant infantile osteopetrosis: dental effects in paediatric patients. Case reports.Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2006; 7: 39-44
Published online: July 18, 2021
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.