Statement of problem
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Playing a musical instrument is associated with slower cognitive decline in community-dwelling older adults.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2020; 32: 1577-1584
- The effectiveness of singing or playing a wind instrument in improving respiratory function in patients with long-term neurological conditions: a systematic review.J Music Ther. 2017; 54: 108-131
- Respiratory function in wind instrument players.Med Lav. 2009; 100: 133-141
- Associations between daily musicking and health: results from a nationwide survey in Denmark.Scand J Public Health. 2016; 44: 726-732
- Prevalence of orofacial changes in wind instrumentalists: a cross-sectional pilot study in Brazil.Med Probl Perform Art. 2018; 33: 1-5
- Effects of playing a wind instrument on the occlusion.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012; 141: 138-145
- Does playing a wind instrument influence tooth position and facial morphology? Systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orofac Orthop. 2020; 81: 267-285
- Specific orofacial problems experienced by musicians.Aust Dent J. 2002; 47: 2-11
- Musical instruments as an aid in the treatment of muscle defects and perversions.Angle Orthodont. 1939; 9: 18-27
- Influence of playing wind instruments on activity of masticatory muscles.J Oral Rehabil. 2007; 34: 645-651
- The impact of the long-term playing of musical instruments on the stomatognathic system - Review.Adv Clin Exp Med. 2014; 23: 143-146
- Dental factors adversely influencing the playing of wind instruments; the role of “Artificial Aids”.Brit Dent J. 1953; 95: 152-160
- Orofacial trauma management in a wind instrument player.J Transl Sci. 2018; 4: 1-5
- Investigation of the ton modification after inserting music splint into oral cavity by the digital filtering technique.Japan Journal of Medical Informatics (in Japanese). 2005; 25: 231-238
- A dental appliance for a clarinetist experiencing temporomandibular joint pain.Med Probl Perform Art. 1989; 4: 118-121
- Mouthguards in sport activities: history, physical properties and injury prevention effectiveness.Sports Med. 2007; 37: 117-144
- Japanese Academy of Sports Dentistry (in Japanese).(Available at:)http://kokuhoken.net/jasd/global/mouthguard.shtmlDate: 2009Date accessed: March 4, 2019
- Quantification and identification of bacteria in acrylic resin dentures and dento-maxillary obturator-prostheses.Am J Dent. 2012; 25: 171-175
- The effect on energy absorption of hard inserts in laminated EVA mouth guards.Aust Dent J. 2000; 45: 21-23
- Measurement of tooth displacements and mouthpiece forces during brass instrument playing.Med Eng Phys. 1995; 17: 567-570
- Natural lip function in wind instrument players.Eur J Orthod. 1987; 9: 216-223
- Influence of changes in the oral cavity on the performance of recorder players: A pilot study.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 111: 425-429
- Sound analysis of a musical performance to evaluate prosthodontic treatment for a clarinet player.J Prosthodont. 2015; 24: 71-77
- Practical evaluation of orofacial myofunctional exercises: implications for wind instrument learning.Music Performance Research. 2007; 1: 47-65
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.