Statement of problem
The debonding of zirconia cantilevered resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses remains a technical complication because zirconia’s chemical inertness impedes adequate surface preparation for bonding. Limited clinical evidence on the performance of various pretreatment methods for the bonding surface of zirconia resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses is available.
The present prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial aimed at evaluating the performance of zirconia resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses prepared with nanostructured alumina coating.
Material and methods
The study adopted a prospective, randomized, controlled, double-blind (patients, operator) design to compare the performance of nanostructured alumina coating with that of conventional airborne-particle abrasion. Twenty-seven healthy patients needing a replacement of a missing maxillary or mandibular central or lateral incisor were screened and rated to be eligible, and 31 zirconia cantilevered resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses were randomly allocated into 1 of 2 groups. The first group (n=15), where the restoration bonding surface was airborne-particle abraded with 50-μm alumina, served as a control group. In the second group (n=16), the restorations were pretreated with nanostructured alumina coating. Treatment and data collection were standardized. The primary outcome evaluated was the survival of the RBFDPs as defined by the restoration not debonding. The Kaplan-Meier analysis of cumulative survival was performed, and nonparametric tests were used to determine patient-specific differences between both study groups (age, sex, restored arch, tooth replaced, bonding surface area) (α=.05). Retainer wing surfaces of debonded resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses were inspected under a scanning electron microscope.
Within a mean ±standard deviation observation period of 22.4 ±7.7 months (minimum, 8.3; maximum, 37.9 months), 3 debondings occurred, and the survival rate was 90.3%. The survival rate was 93.8% for the nanostructured alumina coating and 86.7% for the control group, with no statistically significant differences (log-rank, P=.54). No patient-specific differences were found between study groups (P>.05). As per the scanning electron micrographs, the majority of the nanostructured alumina-coated surfaces had large areas of nanostructured alumina residue, whereas the airborne-particle abraded surfaces exhibited predominantly adhesive failure with less cement residue.
Over a mean observation period of 2 years, both zirconia pretreatments showed promising and comparable clinical results; therefore, nanostructured alumina coating could be regarded as a viable alternative pretreatment method to airborne-particle abrasion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Minimally invasive treatment options in fixed prosthodontics.Quintessence Int. 2016; 47: 207-216
- Treatment strategies for infraoccluded dental implants.J Prosthet Dent. 2015; 113: 169-174
- Esthetic assessment of immediately restored implants combined with gbr and free connective tissue graft.Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016; 27: 1414-1422
- Long-term evaluation of cantilevered versus fixed-fixed resin-bonded fixed partial dentures for missing maxillary incisors.J Dent. 2016; 45: 59-66
- Ten-year survival of anterior all-ceramic resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses.J Adhes Dent. 2011; 13: 407-410
- A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of all-ceramic resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses.J Prosthodont. 2018; 27: 535-543
- Ten-year outcome of zirconia ceramic cantilever resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses and the influence of the reasons for missing incisors.J Dent. 2017; 65: 51-55
- Survival of anterior cantilevered all-ceramic resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses made from zirconia ceramic.J Dent. 2014; 42: 660-663
- Zirconia ceramic single-retainer resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses (rbfdps) after 4 years of clinical service: a retrospective clinical and volumetric study.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2014; 34: 333-343
- Zirconia-based anterior resin-bonded single-retainer cantilever fixed dental prostheses: a 15- to 61-month follow-up.Int J Prosthodont. 2016; 29: 284-286
- Is there a potential for durable adhesion to zirconia restorations? A systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 9-19
- Durability of the resin bond strength to zirconia ceramic after using different surface conditioning methods.Dent Mater. 2007; 23: 45-50
- Adhesion to zirconia used for dental restorations: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Adhes Dent. 2015; 17: 7-26
- Influence of air-abrasion on zirconia ceramic bonding using an adhesive composite resin.Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 44-50
- Effect of sandblasting on the long-term performance of dental ceramics.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2004; 71: 381-386
- Damage accumulation and fatigue life of particle-abraded ceramics.Int J Prosthodont. 2006; 19: 442-448
- Strength influencing variables on CAD/CAM zirconia frameworks.Dent Mater. 2008; 24: 633-638
- Survival-rate analysis of surface treated dental zirconia (y-tzp) ceramics.J Mater Sci Mater Med. 2014; 25: 2255-2264
- The effect of mechanical fatigue and accelerated ageing on fracture resistance of glazed monolithic zirconia dental bridges.J Eur Ceram Soc. 2017; 37: 4415-4422
- Trade-off between fracture resistance and translucency of zirconia and lithium-disilicate glass ceramics for monolithic restorations.Acta Biomater. 2019; 91: 24-34
- Effect of zirconium-oxide ceramic surface treatments on the bond strength to adhesive resin.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 430-436
- Bond strength of composite luting cement to zirconia ceramic surfaces.Dent Mater. 2005; 21: 1158-1162
- The effect of silica-coating by sol-gel process on resin-zirconia bonding.Dent Mater J. 2013; 32: 165-172
- Improved bonding of zirconia substructures to resin using a “glaze-on” technique.J Dent. 2012; 40: 347-351
- An in vitro evaluation of the long-term resin bond to a new densely sintered high-purity zirconium-oxide ceramic surface.J Prosthet Dent. 2009; 101: 29-38
- Effect of surface modification on the bond strength between zirconia and resin cement.J Prosthodont. 2013; 22: 529-536
- Selective infiltration-etching technique for a strong and durable bond of resin cements to zirconia-based materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 98: 379-388
- Influence of different surface treatments on zirconia/resin shear bond strength using one-bottle universal adhesive.Advances in Applied Ceramics. 2018; 118: 70-77
- The effect of nano-structured alumina coating on resin-bond strength to zirconia ceramics.Dent Mater. 2010; 26: 688-696
- The effect of nano-structured alumina coating on the bond strength of resin-modified glass ionomer cements to zirconia ceramics.Journal of the European Ceramic Society. 2012; 32: 2641-2645
- The effect of firing protocols on the resin-bond strength to alumina-coated zirconia ceramics.Adv Appl Ceram. 2019; 119: 267-275
- Superhydrophobic nanostructured boehmite coatings prepared by aln powder hydrolysis.International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology. 2011; 8: 848-853
- Bonding to oxide ceramics-laboratory testing versus clinical outcome.Dent Mater. 2015; 31: 8-14
- CAD/CAM single retainer zirconia-ceramic resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses: clinical outcome after 5 years.Int J Comput Dent. 2013; 16: 109-118
- Clinical evaluation of all ceramic zirconia framework resin bonded bridges.Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2018; 26: 203-211
- Resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses with zirconia ceramic single retainers show high survival rates and minimal tissue changes after a mean of 10 years of service.Int J Prosthodont. 2020; 33: 503-512
- Randomized clinical trial on single retainer all-ceramic resin-bonded fixed partial dentures: influence of the bonding system after up to 55 months.J Dent. 2012; 40: 783-786
- Single-retainer resin-bonded fixed dental prostheses as an alternative to orthodontic space closure (and to single-tooth implants).Quintessence Int. 2018; 49: 789-798
- Influence of contamination on resin bond strength to nano-structured alumina-coated zirconia ceramic.Eur J Oral Sci. 2010; 118: 396-403
- Resin-bonded fixed partial dentures with a new modified zirconia surface: a clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2009; 102: 68-73
- Resin-bonded fixed dental prosthesis with a modified treatment surface in a zirconia framework: a case report.Int J Esthet Dent. 2016; 11: 378-392
- Anterior esthetic rehabilitation of an alveolar cleft using novel minimally invasive prosthodontic techniques: a case report.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2021; 58: 912-918
- Bond strength to high-crystalline content zirconia after different surface treatments.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2010; 93: 318-323
- Stereometric analysis of nanostructured boehmite coatings synthesized by aluminum nitride powder hydrolysis.Ceram Int. 2012; 38: 4853-4859
- The hydrolysis of AlN powder – a powerful tool in advanced materials engineering.Chem Rec. 2018; 18: 1-16
Published online: August 19, 2021
Supported by the Slovenian Research Agency funding through research project Toward reliable implementation of monolithic zirconia dental restorations (J2-9222) and research program Ceramics and complementary materials for advanced engineering and biomedical applications (P2-0087).
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.