Statement of problem
The crystallization process of lithium disilicate crowns has been reported to cause dimensional change, but whether the fit of chairside computer-aided design and computer-aided manufactured (CAD-CAM) zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate crowns is affected is unclear.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate with a 3-dimensional superimposition analysis technique the marginal and internal adaptation of fully crystallized versus partially crystallized zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate ceramic CAD-CAM fabricated crowns. Additionally, the silicone replica technique and direct viewing of marginal gap values were compared with the 3-dimensional superimposition analysis technique.
Material and methods
The marginal and internal adaptation of a fully crystallized zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate (CELTRA DUO) were compared with those of a partially crystallized zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate (VITA SUPRINITY) after crystallization. Sixteen crowns (n=8) were fabricated with a chairside CAD-CAM system. The crowns and die and crown assembly were scanned with an optical scanner for the 3-dimensional superimposition analysis. Four hundred sixty-eight measurements were made for each crown, 78 in each 2-dimensional section. Marginal discrepancy was measured by using the direct viewing technique. The internal adaptation of the shoulder area, axial space, and occlusal space was measured by using the silicone replica technique. Both gap values were compared with the 3-dimensional superimposition analysis results by using the independent t test. The 2-way ANOVA was used to detect the effect of each variable (group and site) (α=.05).
The VITA SUPRINITY crowns showed statistically higher marginal discrepancy values than the CELTRA DUO crowns in both 3-dimensional superimposition analysis and the direct viewing method, and the lingual aspect recorded the highest marginal discrepancy mean value when compared with other aspects. The 3-dimensional superimposition analysis and the direct viewing method were statistically similar (P=.076). The VITA SUPRINTY crowns showed higher internal gap mean values than the CELTRA DUO crowns in both 3-dimensional superimposition analysis and silicone replica techniques. The occlusal space recorded the highest mean value in both groups. Assessment by 3-dimensional superimposition analysis and silicone replica techniques showed statistical difference in internal gap values (P=.04).
CELTRA DUO showed better precision fit values than VITA SUPRINITY. Three-dimensional superimposition analysis is a reliable method of evaluating marginal and internal adaptation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dental ceramics: part I-an overview of composition, structure and properties.Am J Mater Eng Technol. 2015; 3 (): 13-18
- Advanced ceramics for dentistry.1st ed. Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier, Waltham, MA2014: 257-277
- Nucleation and crystallization of glasses and glass-ceramics.Front Mater. 2017; 4: 14-17
- A new classification system for ceramic and ceramic-like restorative materials.Int J Prosthodont. 2015; 28: 227-235
- Effect of the crystallization process on the marginal and internal gaps of lithium disilicate CAD-CAM crowns.Biomed Res Int. 2016; 2016: 1-6
- Effect of crystallization firing on marginal gap of CAD-CAM fabricated lithium disilicate crowns.J Prosthodont. 2018; 27: 63-66
- Evaluation of the marginal and internal fitness of full contour CAD-CAM crowns made from zirconia, lithium disilicate, zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate and hybrid dental ceramic by silicone replica technique (a comparative in vitro study).J Genet Environ Resour Conserv. 2016; 4: 10-20
- Digital evaluation of the fit of zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate crowns with a new three-dimensional approach.Quintessence Int. 2018; 49: 9-15
- Mechanical properties of zirconia reinforced lithium silicate glass-ceramic.Dent Mater. 2016; 32: 908-914
- Description of a novel technique for three-dimensional fit assessment of dental restorations.in: 6th World Congress of Biomechanics (WCB 2010). August 1-6, 2010 Singapore. IFMBE proceedings. vol 31. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg2010: 1479-1482
- A new triple-scan protocol for 3D fit assessment of dental restorations.Quintessence Int. 2011; 42: 651-657
- Evaluation of the marginal and internal gaps of three different dental prostheses: comparison of the silicone replica technique and three-dimensional superimposition analysis.J Adv Prosthodont. 2017; 9: 159-169
- The evaluation of working casts prepared from digital impressions.Oper Dent. 2013; 38: 655-662
- Influence of preparation design on fit and ceramic thickness of CEREC 3 partial ceramic crowns after cementation.Acta Odontol Scand. 2015; 73 (): 107-113
- Effect of cement space on the marginal fit of CAD-CAM-fabricated monolithic zirconia crowns.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 116: 890-895
- Accuracy and reliability of methods to measure marginal adaptation of crowns and FDPs: a literature review.J Prosthodont. 2013; 22: 419-428
- Evaluation of marginal and internal adaptations of posterior all-ceramic crowns fabricated with chair-side CAD-CAM system: an in vitro study.Acta Odontol Turc. 2018; 35: 1-8
- 3D fitting accuracy evaluation of CAD-CAM copings-comparison with spacer design settings.Int J Comput Dent. 2016; 19: 27-43
- Marginal fit of lithium disilicate crowns fabricated using conventional and digital methodology: a three-dimensional analysis.J Prosthodont. 2018; 27: 145-152
- Effect of operators' experience and cement space on the marginal fit of an in-office digitally produced monolithic ceramic crown system.Quintessence Int. 2016; 47: 181-191
- Effect of different cement spaces on the vertical marginal gap of full anatomical zirconia bridges.J Am Sci. 2015; 11: 145-152
- Marginal and internal adaptation of ceramic crown restorations fabricated with CAD-CAM technology and the heat-press technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 249-256
- The effect of different finishing lines on the marginal fitness of full contour zirconia and glass ceramic CAD/CAM crowns (an in-vitro study).J Dent Mater Tech. 2015; 4: 127-136
- Tooth preparation for full-coverage restorations-a literature review.Clin Oral Investig. 2015; 19: 959-968
- Comparison of an analog and digital quantitative and qualitative analysis for the fit of dental copings.Comput Biol Med. 2015; 57: 32-41
- Evaluation of two protocols to measure the accuracy of fixed dental prostheses: an in vitro study.J Prosthodont. 2019; 28: 599-603
- 3D and 2D marginal fit of pressed and CAD/CAM lithium disilicate crowns made from digital and conventional impressions.J Prosthodont. 2014; 23: 610-617
- Marginal fit comparison of CAD-CAM crowns milled from two different materials.J Prosthodont. 2018; 27: 421-428
- Evaluation of marginal and internal adaptation of hybrid and nanoceramic systems with microcomputed tomography: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2017; 118: 200-207
- In vitro evaluation of marginal adaptation in five ceramic restoration fabricating techniques.Quintessence Int. 2010; 41: 585-590
- The influence of finish line curvature on the marginal gap width of ceramic copings.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 109: 227-233
- The zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate ceramic: lights and shadows of a new material.Dent Mater J. 2016; 35: 748-755
- Principles of crystal phase formation in Ivoclar Vivadent glass-ceramics for dental restorations.J Non Cryst Solids. 2016; 432: 137-142
- Clinical applications of biomaterials: state-of-the-art progress, trends, and novel approaches.Springer, Cham2017: 313-337
- Microstructural evolution and physical behavior of a lithium disilicate glass-ceramic.Dent Mater J. 2015; 31: 928-940
- Evaluation of effects of porcelain firing on the marginal fit changes of porcelain-fused-to-metal crown fabricated utilizing two different margin designs and two commercially available base metal alloys.J Res Dent. 2017; 4: 67-72
- Wear, strength, modulus and hardness of CAD-CAM restorative materials.Dent Mater. 2016; 32 (): 275-283
- Fit of CAD-CAM tooth-supported single crowns and fixed dental prostheses.Curr Oral Health Rep. 2017; 4: 1-9
Published online: September 01, 2021
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
© 2021 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.