Accurate registration of digital casts and cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) scans with strong metallic artifacts is essential for the accuracy of guided implant surgery. This article describes a procedure for mapping digital casts onto CBCT scans containing significant scatter artifacts in the virtual implant planning stage. The technique uses a chairside segmented occlusal wing-like radiographic guide, which is constructed of digital splints fabricated using a desktop 3-dimensional printer and composite resin spheres as markers to accurately superimpose the bimaxillary digital scans onto the CBCT scans in a single procedure. This cost-effective technique is timesaving for clinicians and patients, and the digital information for implant planning can be collected in a single visit.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Efficacy of constructing digital hybrid skull-dentition images using an intraoral scanner and cone-beam computed tomography.Scanning. 2022; 2022: 8221514
- Effect of length and location of edentulous area on the accuracy of prosthetic treatment plan incorporation into cone-beam computed tomography scans.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2018; 20: 300-307
- Software tools and surgical guides in dental-implant-guided surgery.Dent Clin North Am. 2014; 58: 597-626
- Accuracy of image-fusion stereolithographic guides: mapping CT data with three-dimensional optical surface scanning.Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015; 17: e736-e744
- Fusion of computed tomography data and optical 3D images of the dentition for streak artefact correction in the simulation of orthognathic surgery.Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2004; 33: 226-232
- A randomized clinical trial comparing guided implant surgery (bone- or mucosa-supported) with mental navigation or the use of a pilot-drill template.J Clin Periodontol. 2014; 41: 717-723
- The effect of the configurations of fiducial markers on accuracy of surgical navigation in zygomatic implant placement: An in vitro study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2019; 34: 85-90
- Digital technologies for dental implant treatment planning and guided surgery.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015; 27: 319-340
- Radiographic markers for merging virtual data sets.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 122: 5-9
- A technique for registering digital dental casts onto cone beam computed tomography scans with excessive metallic artifacts.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 29-33
- Metal and motion artifacts by cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) in dental and maxillofacial study.Radiol Med. 2015; 120: 618-626
- Image artifact in dental cone-beam CT.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006; 101: 652-657
- Evaluation of image quality of a novel computed tomography metal artifact management technique on an anthropomorphic head and neck phantom.Phys Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2021; 17: 111-116
- Metal-induced streak artifact reduction using iterative reconstruction algorithms in x-ray computed tomography image of the dentoalveolar region.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 115: e63-73
- Reduction of dark-band-like metal artifacts caused by dental implant bodies using hypothetical monoenergetic imaging after dual-energy computed tomography.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 115: 833-838
- Robust visualization of the dental occlusion by a double scan procedure.Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2005; 8: 368-374
- Digital replacement of the distorted dentition acquired by cone beam computed tomography (CBCT): a pilot study.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 42: 1488-1493
- Generation of virtual models for planning orthognathic surgery using a modified multimodal image fusion technique.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 44: 462-469
- Automatic superimposition of palatal fiducial markers for accurate integration of digital dental model and cone beam computed tomography.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 73: 1616.e1
- Integration of digital dental casts in cone beam computed tomography scans-a clinical validation study.Clin Oral Investig. 2018; 22: 1215-1222
- Radiopaque fiducial markers as an aid to fabrication of an implant surgical guide for a patient with orthodontic brackets: a dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 20 Sep 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.07.029
Published online: January 05, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 82071145) and the Research Fund of Inter-disciplinary Innovation Project from West China Hospital of Stomatology Sichuan University (RD-03-202009).
© 2022 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.