Shade selection is an inherently complex procedure, and its accurate reproduction in the definitive restoration involves an in-depth understanding of color science and its effective communication with the dental laboratory technician. A technique is presented that uses a smartphone application (Snapseed; Google LLC) and a gray card for clinical shade selection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Shade matching assisted by digital photography and computer software.J Prosthodont. 2009; 18: 235-241
- Intrarater repeatability of shade selections with two shade guides.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 50-53
- Shade matching quality among dental students using visual and instrumental methods.J Dent. 2014; 42: 48-52
- eLABor_aid: a new approach to digital shade management.Int J Esthet Dent. 2017; 12: 186-202
- Color in dentistry: improving the odds of correct shade selection.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2009; 21: 202-208
- Variability of color matching with different digital photography techniques and a gray reference card.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 333-339
- Accurate shade image matching by using a smartphone camera.J Prosthodont Res. 2017; 61: 168-176
- The use of digital imaging for colour matching and communication in restorative dentistry.Br Dent J. 2005; 199: 43-49
- A comparison of ceramic crown color difference between different shade selection methods: visual, digital camera, and smartphone.J Prosthet Dent. 2022; 128: 784-792
- The use of a standardized gray reference card in dental photography to correct the effects of five commonly used diffusers on the color of 40 extracted human teeth.Int J Esthet Dent. 2016; 2: 246-259
- Digital photography in the dental practice--an overview (II).Int J Comput Dent. 2000; 3: 121-132
- Digital photography and the assessment of therapeutic results after bleaching procedures.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2003; 15: S21-S32
- Comparison of photographic and conventional methods for tooth shade selection: a clinical evaluation.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2017; 17: 273-281
- The science of communicating the art of esthetic dentistry. Part III: precise shade communication.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2001; 13: 154-162
- Color distribution of a shade guide in the value, chroma, and hue scale.J Prosthet Dent. 2008; 100: 18-28
- Digital dental photography. Part 5: lighting.Br Dent J. 2009; 207: 13-18
Published online: February 18, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.