In the esthetic restoration of anterior teeth, trial restorations are an efficient way of communicating among patients, doctors, and dental laboratory technicians. Although the development of digital technologies has made it popular to design digital diagnostic waxing in a software program, problems such as the polymerization inhibition of silicone materials and time-consuming trimming remain. The silicone mold based on a 3-dimensionally printed resin cast still has to be transferred to the digital diagnostic waxing and to the patient’s mouth to generate a trial restoration. A digital workflow is proposed to fabricate a double-layer guide to reproduce the digital diagnostic waxing in the patient’s mouth. This technique is suitable for esthetic restorations of anterior teeth.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior restorations: the performance of ceramic veneers.Quintessence Int. 2018; 49: 89-101
- Digital technologies to facilitate minimally invasive rehabilitation of a severely worn dentition: a dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 126: 167-172
- Accuracy of indirect veneer mock-up in comparison to diagnostic wax-up.Int J Prosthodont. 23 Feb 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.11607/ijp.7183
- Esthetic templates for complex restorative cases: rationale and management.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008; 20: 239-250
- Novel porcelain laminate preparation approach driven by a diagnostic mock-up.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2004; 16: 7-18
- Predictable, precise, and repeatable tooth preparation for porcelain laminate veneers.Pract Proced Aesthet Dent. 2003; 15: 17-26
- Fabrication of a facially generated tooth reduction guide for minimally invasive preparations: A dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2022; 127: 689-694
- A diagnostically and digitally driven tooth preparation protocol by using a patient monitoring tool with an intraoral scanner.J Prosthet Dent. 24 May 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.04.017
- Multipurpose application of custom, rigid, clear matrix for fabricating trial restorations, tooth preparation guides, and interim veneers.J Prosthet Dent. 18 Mar 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2020.08.020
- 3D-printed custom trays with a Gothic arch for centric relation recording and definitive impression making for complete dentures: a dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 32-36
- 3D and 4D printing in dentistry and maxillofacial surgery: printing techniques, materials, and applications.Acta Biomater. 2021; 122: 26-49
- 3D printing restorative materials using a stereolithographic technique: a systematic review.Dent Mater. 2021; 37: 336-350
- A stereolithographic template for computer-assisted teeth preparation in dental esthetic ceramic veneer treatment.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2020; 32: 763-769
Published online: March 02, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, grant #81970987 and The Nature and Science Basic Research Program of Shaanxi Province of China (2021JM-228).
R.Z. and Y.D. contributed equally to this work.
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.