A digital workflow was used to design and prefabricate a 3-dimensionally printed, esthetic obturator prosthesis for immediate placement after a partial maxillectomy. The approach involved simultaneous reciprocation and support of the maxillary defect during the surgery and minimized the incidence of cicatricial contracture of the soft tissue, preventing permanent facial deformity and dysfunction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Obturator prosthesis rehabilitation after maxillectomy: Functional and aesthetical analysis in 25 patients.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 12524
- Quality of life in patients with maxillectomy prostheses.Head Neck. 2009; 31: 813-821
- Evaluation of the quality of life of patients with maxillofacial defects after prosthodontic therapy with obturator prostheses.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 40: 71-79
- Definitive maxillary obturator prosthesis: Timelines for fabrication and follow-up.Spec Care Dentist. 2020; 40: 315-319
- Prosthetic reconstruction of the maxilla and palate.Semin Plast Surg. 2020; 34: 114-119
- Accuracy of CAD-CAM-fabricated removable partial dentures.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119: 586-592
- PEEK maxillary obturator prosthesis fabrication using intraoral scanning, 3d printing, and CAD/CAM.Int J Prosthodont. 2020; 33: 333-340
- Rapid prototyping technologies and their applications in prosthodontics, a review of literature.J Dent (Shiraz). 2015; 16: 1-9
- Fusion of intra-oral scans in cone-beam computed tomography scans.Clin Oral Investig. 2021; 25: 77-85
- Virucidal efficacy of chlorhexidine: a systematic review.Odontology. 2022; 110: 376-392
- Rehabilitation of maxillectomy defects with obturator prostheses fabricated using computer-aided design and rapid prototyping: a pilot study.Int J Prosthodont. 2014; 27: 480-486
- Maxillofacial prosthetics.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2018; 30: 487-497
- Influence of immediate and permanent obturators on facial contours: a case series.Cases J. 2009; 2: 6
- Immediate implant-retained prosthetic obturation after maxillectomy based on zygomatic implant placement by 3D-guided surgery: a cadaver study.Int J Implant Dent. 2021; 7: 54
- Immediate implant placement and provisionalization following tumor-resective surgery in the midfacial region: a case series.J Prosthodont. 2018; 27: 476-481
- Three-dimensional printed definitive cast for a silicone obturator prosthesis: a clinical report.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 353-357
- Three-dimensional printing: A novel approach to the creation of obturator prostheses following palatal resection for malignant palate tumors.J Craniofac Surg. 2018; 29: e12-e15
Published online: February 23, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Sponsored by the Interdisciplinary Program of Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Project No. YG2022QN054).
Y.H. and J.L. contributed equally to this article.
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.