Statement of problem
Evaluating the effect of low-temperature degradation (LTD) on multilayered zirconia blocks is important for the long-term life of zirconia restorations.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to analyze the changes in color, translucency, and hardness of a single layer of multilayered zirconia after an LTD treatment.
Material and methods
Ninety multilayered 10×10×1.0-mm zirconia specimens (3M Lava Esthetic) were designed using Auto CAD 2006 (Autodesk) and divided into 6 groups (n=15) based on LTD (no treatment, LTD treatment) and the inherent layer type (incisal, transition, and body). The hardness of each specimen was measured using a microVickers hardness tester. The CIELab color coordinates were measured using a spectrophotometer, and the data were used to calculate the color difference and translucency (TP). Data were analyzed using 2-way ANOVA and the Scheffé test (α=.05).
LTD treatment did not alter the hardness of multilayered zirconia (P=.572). A significant difference was found in the hardness between the layers of multilayered zirconia (P<.001). LTD treatment did not alter the b∗ or L∗ values (P=.773, P=.701) but did change the a∗ values (P<.001). On LTD treatment, the a∗ value was found to decrease. The L∗, a∗, and b∗ values differed based on the respective layer within the material (P<.001). As layers progress from the incisal to the body, the L∗ value decreased and the a∗ and b∗ values increased. In all groups, the color difference values were highest in the following order: the incisal and transition layers < the transition and body layers < the incisal and body layers. On LTD treatment, the color difference between the layers decreased. The LTD treatment did not affect the TP value (P=.208), but the TP value for each layer showed a significant difference (P<.001).
LTD treatment did not affect the optical properties or hardness of the multilayered zirconia. The hardness of the multilayered zirconia increased from the incisal to the body layer. In multilayered zirconia, the brightness decreased from the incisal to the body layer, and red and yellow color changes were observed. The TP of multilayered zirconia increased from the incisal to the body layer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Survival of zirconia- and metal-supported fixed dental prostheses: a systematic review.Int J Prosthodont. 2010; 23: 493-502
- Prospective study of zirconia-based restorations: 3-year clinical results.Quintessence Int. 2010; 41: 631-637
- Translucency and flexural strength of monolithic translucent zirconia and porcelain-layered zirconia.Dent Mater J. 2015; 34: 910-917
- In vitro performance of full-contour zirconia single crowns.Dent Mater. 2012; 28: 449-456
- Novel zirconia materials in dentistry.J Dent Res. 2018; 97: 140-147
- Three generations of zirconia: from veneered to monolithic. Part I.Quintessence Int. 2017; 48: 369-380
- Optical properties and light irradiance of monolithic zirconia at variable thicknesses.Dent Mater. 2015; 31: 1180-1187
- Mechanical reliability, fatigue strength and survival analysis of new polycrystalline translucent zirconia ceramics for monolithic restorations.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2018; 85: 57-65
- Light transmittance by a multi-coloured zirconia material.Dent Mater J. 2015; 34: 310-314
- Probing the interfacial strength of novel multi-layer zirconias.Dent Mater. 2020; 36: 60-67
- Effect of different coloring liquids on the flexural strength of multi-layereded zirconia.J Adv Prosthodont. 2019; 11: 209-214
- Accelerated aging characteristics of three yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia polycrystalline dental materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2012; 108: 223-230
- The influence of low-temperature degradation and cyclic loading on the fracture resistance of monolithic zirconia molar crowns.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2015; 47: 49-56
- Towards the prediction of hydrothermal ageing of 3Y-TZP bioceramics from processing parameters.Acta Mater. 2018; 144: 245-256
- Changes in the flexural strength of translucent zirconia due to glazing and low-temperature degradation.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 969.e1-969.e6
- Effect of accelerated aging on the fracture toughness of zirconias.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 215-223
- Effect of glazing and aging on optical properties of high-translucency zirconia.J Kor Dent Mater. 2017; 44: 319-328
- Influence of accelerated aging on the color stability of dental Zirconia.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2016; 28: 304-312
- Effect of varying core thicknesses and artificial aging on the color difference of different all-ceramic materials.Acta Odontol Scand. 2014; 72: 623-629
- Toughening of highly translucent zirconia by monoclinic ZrO2 and SiO2 particle coating.Dent Mater J. 2020; 39: 295-301
- Low temperature degradation of single layers of multi-layereded zirconia in comparison to conventional unshaded zirconia: phase transformation and flexural strength.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2018; 77: 171-175
- New multi-layered zirconias: composition, microstructure and translucency.Dent Mater. 2019; 35: 797-806
- Computable translucency as a function of thickness in a multi-layered zirconia.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 683-689
- Translucency of IPS e.max and cubic zirconia monolithic crowns.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 269-275
- ISO 13356:2015. Implants for surgery: ceramic materials based on yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia (Y-TZP). Geneva: International Organization for Standardization; 2015. ISO Store Order: OP-432363 (Date: 2020-03-19).(Available at:)
- Effect of in vitro aging on the flexural strength and probability to fracture of Y-TZP zirconia ceramics for all-ceramic restorations.Dent Mater. 2014; 30: e306-e316
- Effect of polishing and glazing on the color and spectral distribution of monolithic zirconia.J Adv Prosthodont. 2013; 5: 296-304
- Color and opacity variations in three different resin-based composite products after water aging.Dent Mater. 2004; 20: 530-534
Published online: February 18, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.