Statement of problem
Studies are sparse on how rapid heating and cooling negatively affect optical properties, including color and transparency, and mechanical properties, including hardness and durability, that affect esthetics and shorten the clinical usage period of the ceramics.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to determine the effects of repeated firing on the color difference, mechanical properties, and phase formation of different ceramic materials.
Material and methods
A total of 160 disks (12×1.35 mm) were produced from 4 different ceramic materials: lithium disilicate glass-ceramic, zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate ceramic, zirconia core, and monolithic zirconia. Specimens from all groups were divided into 4 groups (n=10) with a different number of veneer porcelain firings (1 to 4) by simple randomization. After the firings, color measurement, X-ray diffraction analysis, environmental scanning electron micrograph analysis, surface roughness evaluation, Vickers hardness evaluation, and biaxial flexural strength tests were performed. Data were analyzed with analysis of variance (2-way ANOVA) (α=.05).
Repeated firing did not affect the flexural strength of the specimens in any of the groups (P>.05), while the color, surface roughness, and surface hardness were significantly affected (P<.05). The specimens fired 4 times showed the highest mean Vickers hardness and ΔE00 values but the lowest mean surface roughness values. Zirconia core specimens showed the highest mean ΔE00 and flexural strength values, and lithium disilicate glass-ceramic specimens had the highest mean Vickers hardness values.
The increase in the number of firings affected the color, mechanical properties, and phase formation of the specimens; this change differed according to the ceramic tested.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Contemporary dental ceramic materials, a review: chemical composition, physical and mechanical properties, indications for use.Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018; 6: 1742-1755
- Physicochemical surface characterizations of four dental CAD/CAM lithium disilicate-based glass ceramics on HF etching: an XPS study.Ceramics In. 2020; 46: 1411-1418
- Influence of simulated gastric juice on surface characteristics of CAD-CAM monolithic materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 483-490
- Fabrication of zirconia-reinforced lithium silicate ceramic restorations using a complete digital workflow.Case Rep Dent. 2015; 2015: 162178
- The effects of repeated heat-pressing on the mechanical properties and microstructure of IPS e.max Press.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2014; 40: 390-396
- Effect of microstructure on the mechanical properties of lithium disilicate glass-ceramics.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2018; 82: 355-370
- Crystallization toughening of a model glass-ceramic.Acta Materialia. 2015; 86: 216-228
- Effects of multiple firings on the mechanical properties and microstructure of veneering ceramics for zirconia frameworks.J Dent. 2012; 40: 372-380
- Thermal gradients and residual stresses in veneered Y-TZP frameworks.Dent Mater. 2011; 27: 1102-1110
- Analysis of thermal distributions in veneered zirconia and metal restorations during firing.Dent Mater. 2013; 29: 1166-1172
- Zirconia in dentistry: Part 1. Discovering the nature of an upcoming bioceramic.Eur J Esthet Dent. 2009; 4: 130-151
- The effect of repeated firings on the color of an all-ceramic system with two different veneering porcelain shades.J Prosthet Dent. 2008; 99: 203-208
- Color difference thresholds in dental ceramics.J Dent. 2010; 38: e57-64
- Future of dental biomaterials: gazing into Bob's crystal ball.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 1-7
- Effect of polishing and finishing procedures on the surface integrity of restorative ceramics.Am J Dent. 2013; 26: 51-55
- Esthetic restorative materials and opposing enamel wear.Oper Dent. 2008; 33: 332-337
- Effect of residual stresses on the fracture of ground ceramics.J Am Ceram Soc. 1989; 72: 1960-1966
- The effect of repeated firings on the color of an alumina ceramic system with two different veneering porcelain shades.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 104: 372-378
- The effect of repeated firings on the color change and surface roughness of dental ceramics.J Adv Prosthodont. 2014; 6: 309-316
- Effect of repeated firings on flexural strength of veneered zirconia.Dent Mater. 2015; 31: e151-e156
- The effect of extended glaze firing on the flexural fatigue strength of hard-machined ceramics.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 755-761
- Effect of staining and repeated firing on the surface and optical properties of lithium disilicate.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2020; 32: 113-118
- The influence of multiple firing on thermal contraction of ceramic materials used for the fabrication of layered all-ceramic dental restorations.Dent Mater. 2005; 21: 557-564
- Dentistry — Ceramic materials.2019
- Effect of core and veneer thicknesses on the color parameters of two all-ceramic systems.J Prosthet Dent. 2006; 95: 124-129
- The development of the CIE 2000 colour-difference formula: CIEDE2000.Color Res Appl. 2001; 26: 340-350
- Effect of changes in sintering parameters on monolithic translucent zirconia.Dent Mater. 2014; 30: e419-e424
- Fracture toughness and hardness of a Y-TZP dental ceramic after mechanical surface treatments.Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18: 707-728
- Color difference thresholds in dentistry.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2015; 27: S1-9
- Effect of consecutive firings on the optical and mechanical properties of silicate and lithium disilicate based glass-ceramics.J Prosthodont. 2021; 30: 776-782
- Effect of number of firings on the color and translucency of ceramic core materials with veneer ceramic of different thicknesses.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 119: 152-158
- The effect of ceramic thickness and number of firings on the color of ceramic systems: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2007; 97: 25-31
- The effect of repeated firings on the color change of dental ceramics using different glazing methods.J Adv Prosthodont. 2014; 6: 427-433
- The effect of heat treatments applied to superstructure porcelain on the mechanical properties and microstructure of lithium disilicate glass ceramics.Dent Mater J. 2018; 37: 24-32
- Effects of multiple firings on mechanical properties and resin bonding of lithium disilicate glass-ceramic.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2018; 88: 362-369
- Mechanical properties of zirconia reinforced lithium silicate glass-ceramic.Dent Mater. 2016; 32: 908-914
- Effects of multiple firing processes on the mechanical properties of lithium disilicate glass-ceramics produced by two different production techniques.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 527.e1-527.e7
- Effects of multiple firings on the low-temperature degradation of dental yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 495-500
- Biaxial flexural strength and indentation fracture toughness of three new dental core ceramics.J Prosthet Dent. 1996; 76: 140-144
- Effect of air-particle abrasion protocols on the biaxial flexural strength, surface characteristics and phase transformation of zirconia after cyclic loading.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2013; 20: 19-28
- Influence of grain size and veneer firing process on the flexural strength of zirconia ceramics.Eur J Oral Sci. 2012; 120: 249-254
- Mechanical properties of zirconia after different surface treatments and repeated firings.J Adv Prosthodont. 2014; 6: 462-467
- The firing procedure influences properties of a zirconia core ceramic.Dent Mater. 2008; 24: 471-475
- Comparison of four monolithic zirconia materials with conventional ones: Contrast ratio, grain size, four-point flexural strength and two-body wear.J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2016; 59: 128-138
Published online: March 06, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Supported by the Department of Scientific Research Projects (TSA-2021-9220) Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey.
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.