Statement of problem
Laser phototherapy has been studied as a surface treatment capable of increasing the adhesion of cement to the ceramic surface. However, the bond strength of glass and resin-ceramics after laser phototherapy is unclear.
The objective of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to compare the bond strength of glass and resin-ceramics using laser therapy and conventional hydrofluoric acid etching.
Material and methods
This systematic review and meta-analysis followed the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) and was registered in the Open Science Framework (OSF) for in vitro studies. A population, intervention, control, and outcome (PICO) question was formulated: “Does phototherapy promote better bond strength in glass and resin-ceramics than conventional hydrofluoric acid etching?” A literature search was performed in PubMed/MEDLINE, Embase, Web of Science, Scopus, Cochrane Library, and ProQuest databases up to January 2023. The Joanna Briggs Institute critical assessment guidelines for quasi-experimental studies were used for quality assessment. The meta-analysis was based on the inverse variance (IV) method (α=.05).
A total of 6 in vitro studies published between 2007 and 2019 with a total number of 348 specimens were included for qualitative analysis; 1 study had a positive effect. Five of the studies were included in the meta-analysis, which indicated a significant decrease for feldspathic ceramics that received laser phototherapy and lithium disilicate (P=.002; MD: −2.15; 95% CI: −3.53 to −0.77; I2=89%, P<.01) and (P<.01; MD: −2.13; 95% CI: −2.99 to −1.27; I2=82%, P<.01), respectively.
Laser irradiation as surface etching of glass ceramics does not produce a bond strength equal to that of conventional hydrofluoric acid etching.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Influence of simulated gastric juice on surface characteristics of CAD-CAM monolithic materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 483-490
- Ceramics for dental applications: a review.Materials (Basel). 2010; 3: 351-368
- Resin bond to indirect composite and new ceramic/polymer materials: a review of the literature.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2014; 26: 382-393
- Can heat treatment procedures of pre-hydrolyzed silane replace hydrofluoric acid in the adhesion of resin cement to feldspathic ceramic?.J Adhes Dent. 2013; 15: 569-574
- Effect of hydrofluoric acid concentration on resin adhesion to a feldspathic ceramic.J Adhes Dent. 2015; 17: 313-320
- Resin-ceramic bonding: a review of the literature.J Prosthet Dent. 2003; 89: 268-274
- Polymer infiltrated ceramic network structures for resistance to fatigue fracture and wear.Dent Mater. 2016; 32: 1352-1361
- Cementing all-ceramic restorations.J Am Dent Assoc. 2011; 142: 20S-24S
- Surface treatments on CAD/CAM glass–ceramics: Influence on roughness, topography, and bond strength.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2021; 33: 739-749
- Veneer ceramic to Y-TZP bonding: comparison of different surface treatments.J Prosthodont. 2015; 25: 324-329
- Effect of Nd: YAG laser irradiation on surface properties and bond strength of zirconia ceramics.Lasers Med Sci. 2015; 30: 627-634
- Effect of bracket bonding with Er: YAG laser on nanomechanical properties of enamel.Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2014; 11: 49-55
- Surface treatment with a fractional CO2 laser enhances shear bond strength of resin cement to zirconia.Laser Ther. 2016; 25: 19-26
- Influence of Er;Cr: YSGG laser on shear bond strength and color stability of lithium disilicate ceramics: an in vitro study.Photobiomodul Photomed Laser Surg. 2019; 37: 483-488
- Microtensile bond strength of composite resin to glass-infiltrated alumina composite conditioned with Er,Cr:YSGG laser.Lasers Med Sci. 2012; 27: 7-14
- Bond strengths of all-ceramics: acid vs laser etching.Oper Dent. 2007; 32: 173-178
- Effect of laser irradiation on bond strength between zirconia and resin cement or veneer ceramic: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2021; 21: 125-137
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.Syst Rev. 2021; 10: 89
- Prevalence of proximal contact loss between implant-supported prostheses and adjacent natural teeth: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Prosthet Dent. 19 July 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.05.025
- A clinical comparison of 1-piece versus 2-piece implants: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 124: 439-445
- Systematic review resource package.in: The Joanna Briggs institute method for systematic review research quick reference GuideQueen’s Joanna Briggs collaboration. 2010 (Kingston, ON.)[Visited March 03, 2023])
- Comparative evaluation of effects of laser modalities on shear bond strengths of veneering porcelains to laser sintered substructures: an in vitro study.Photomed Laser Surg. 2017; 35: 338-344
- Shear bond strength of composite and ceromer superstructures to direct laser sintered and Ni-Cr-Based infrastructures treated with KTP, Nd:YAG, and Er:YAG lasers: an experimental study.Photomed Laser Surg. 2018; 36: 203-208
- Effect of different resin cements and surface treatments on the shear bond strength of ceramic-glass polymer materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 454-461
- Bond strength of modern self-adhesive resin cements to human dentin and different CAD/CAM ceramics.Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2020; 22: 25-34
- The impact of Er,Cr:YSGG laser on the shear strength of the bond between dentin and ceramic is dependent on the adhesive material.Lasers Med Sci. 2012; 27: 717-722
- Microtensile bond strength of resin cement to a feldspathic ceramic.Photomed Laser Surg. 2011; 29: 197-203
- Effect of feldspathic ceramic surface treatments on bond strength to resin cement.Photomed Laser Surg. 2007; 25: 291-296
- Effect of different surface treatments on porcelain-resin bond strength.J Prosthodont. 2015; 26: 446-454
- Novel ceramic primer vs. conventional treatment methods: effects on roughness and bond strength of all-ceramic restorations.Am J Dent. 2018; 31: 249-252
- CO2 laser dentin surface treatment most effectively increased ceramic shear bond strength.Laser Ther. 2018; 27: 48-54
- Effect of different surface treatments on bond strength of resin cement to a CAD/CAM restorative material.J Prosthodont. 2019; 28: 71-78
- Effect of phototherapy on shear bond strength of resin cements to zirconia ceramics: a systematic review and meta-analysis of in-vitro studies.Photodyn Ther. 2018; 23: 58-62
Published online: March 08, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.