Statement of problem
The accuracy of different virtual cement gap parameters in designing a single crown in a computer-aided design (CAD) software program is still unclear.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate and compare the virtual cement gap settings of 3 different CAD software programs used to design a single crown restoration.
Material and methods
Three different CAD software programs (exocad, Dental System, and B4D) were evaluated for designing single crowns with similar virtual cement gap settings. Three experimental groups were created based on the CAD software program used (n=10). Three-dimensional analysis software program was used to assess the virtual cement gap in the CAD restoration. The Shapiro–Wilk test of normality was used. Comparisons were carried out by using 1-way ANOVA and the Scheffé post hoc test (α=.05).
The Dental System software program had the lowest statistical mean error values at both tooth margin (4.6 μm) and axial wall (1.5 μm), followed by B4D then exocad. At the occlusal surface, the lowest statistical mean error value of 5 μm was achieved by the Dental System followed by exocad then B4D.
Accuracy of the virtual cement gap parameter in single crown design varies based on the CAD software used. The highest accuracy was attained by the Dental System software program at all tooth surfaces, followed by B4D at the tooth margin and axial wall and by exocad at the occlusal surface.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- CEREC CAD/CAM chairside system.Oral Implantol. 2015; 7: 57-70
- Evaluation of the accuracy of implant placement by using fully guided versus partially guided tissue-supported surgical guides with cylindrical versus C-shaped guiding holes: a split-mouth clinical study.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 620-627
- Understanding dental CAD/CAM for restorations--The digital workflow from a mechanical engineering viewpoint.Int J Comput Dent. 2015; 18: 21-44
- Clinical performance of chairside CAD/CAM restorations.J Am Dent Assoc. 2006; 137: 22S-31S
- Comparing the accuracy (trueness and precision) of models of fixed dental prostheses fabricated by digital and conventional workflows.J Prosthodont Res. 2019; 63: 25-30
- Digital dentistry: the new state of the art - Is it disruptive or destructive?.Dent Mater. 2020; 36: 9-24
- Accuracy of marginal fit and axial wall contour for lithium disilicate crowns fabricated using three digital workflows.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 121-127
- Effect of software version and parameter settings on the marginal and internal adaptation of crowns fabricated with the CAD/CAM system.J Appl Oral Sci. 2015; 23: 515-522
- 3D and 2D marginal fit of pressed and CAD/CAM lithium disilicate crowns made from digital and conventional impressions.J Prosthodont. 2014; 23: 610-617
- Marginal adaptation of ceramic crowns: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 2013; 110: 447-454
- Accuracy of ceramic restorations made using an in-office optical scanning technique: an in vitro study.Oper Dent. 2014; 39: 308-316
- Evaluation of the marginal fit of a zirconia ceramic computer-aided machined (CAM) crown system.J Prosthet Dent. 2010; 104: 216-227
- Marginal gap, internal fit, and fracture load of leucite-reinforced ceramic inlays fabricated by CEREC inLab and hot-pressed techniques.J Prosthodont. 2011; 20: 535-540
- Internal fit of two all-ceramic systems and metal-ceramic crowns.J Appl Oral Sci. 2012; 20: 235-240
- Marginal discrepancy of monolithic and veneered all-ceramic crowns on titanium and zirconia implant abutments before and after adhesive cementation: a scanning electron microscopy analysis.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013; 28: 480-487
- Dental ceramics and the molar crown testing ground.J Appl Oral Sci. 2004; 12: 26-36
- A systematic review of CAD/CAM fit restoration evaluations.J Oral Rehabil. 2014; 41: 853-874
- Scanning accuracy and precision in 4 intraoral scanners: an in vitro comparison based on 3-dimensional analysis.J Prosthet Dent. 2014; 112: 1461-1471
- Accuracy of full-arch scans using intraoral scanners.Clin Oral Investig. 2014; 18: 1687-1694
- Accuracy of computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing-generated dental casts based on intraoral scanner data.J Am Dent Assoc. 2014; 145: 1133-1140
- Effect of software version on the accuracy of an intraoral scanning device.Int J Prosthodont. 2018; 31: 375-376
- Clinical study of the internal gaps of zirconia and metal frameworks for fixed partial dentures.Eur J Oral Sci. 2008; 116: 272-279
- 3D fitting accuracy evaluation of CAD/CAM copings - Comparison with spacer design settings.Int J Comput Dent. 2016; 19: 27-43
- Effect of virtual cement gap settings on the marginal fit of cemented resin-ceramic crowns on implant abutments.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 804.e1-804.e6
- Micro-computed tomography analysis of fit of ceramic inlays produced with different CAD software programs.Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent. 2021; 29: 160-165
- A comparative study of the accuracy of dental CAD programs in designing a fixed partial denture.J Prosthodont. 2022; 31: 215-220
- Marginal and internal discrepancies related to margin design of ceramic crowns fabricated by a CAD/CAM system.J Prosthodont. 2012; 21: 94-100
- Evaluation of the marginal and internal gap of metal-ceramic crown fabricated with a selective laser sintering technology: Two and three-dimensional replica techniques.J Adv Prosthodont. 2013; 5: 179-186
- Marginal and internal fits of fixed dental prostheses zirconia retainers.Dent Mater. 2009; 25: 94-102
- A new triple-scan protocol for 3D fit assessment of dental restorations.Quintessence Int. 2011; 42: 651-657
- Trueness of removable partial denture frameworks additively manufactured with selective laser melting.J Prosthet Dent. 2022; 127: 122-127
- Evaluation of intaglio surface trueness and margin quality of interim crowns in accordance with the build angle of stereolithography apparatus 3-dimensional printing.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 126: 231-237
- Comparison of measured deviations in digital implant scans depending on software and operator.J Dent. 2022; 122: 104154
- Influence of 3D analysis software on measured deviations of CAD-CAM resin crowns from virtual design file: an in-vitro study.J Dent. 2022; 118103933
- Micro-CT evaluation of the marginal fit of different In-Ceram alumina copings.Eur J Esthet Dent. 2009; 4: 278-292
- Facially driven digital diagnostic waxing: new software features to simulate and define restorative outcomes.Curr Oral Health Rep. 2019; 6: 284-294
- Workflow description of additively manufactured clear silicone indexes for injected provisional restorations: a novel technique.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2019; 31: 213-221
- Hypothesis testing: Two-sample inference.in: Fundamentals of Biostatistics. 8th ed. Boston: Brooks/Cole, Nelson Education2015: 269-301
- Universität Düsseldorf. G∗Power.http://www.gpower.hhu.de/Date: 2019Date accessed: May 21, 2023
Published online: April 05, 2023
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.