When submucosal screw-retained implant-supported restorations are removed for a short period, the soft-tissue contours collapse, which can affect treatment expediency and patient comfort when restorations are reinserted. This technique involves the fabrication of a polyvinyl siloxane submucosal template to help mitigate the soft-tissue collapse and its potential sequelae. This method of maintaining peri-implant soft-tissue contours is achieved through a quick succession of steps: removing the screw-retained implant prosthesis, drying the soft tissue thoroughly, injecting light-bodied fast-set polyvinyl siloxane directly into the implant fixture of the internal connection implants and the screw channel for external connection implants together with the remaining submucosal areas, allowing the polyvinyl siloxane submucosal template to polymerize undisturbed, and removing it when ready to replace the prosthesis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Time-dependent supraimplant mucosa changes: short communication.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2015; 30: 619-621
- Dynamic changes of peri-implant soft tissue after interim restoration removal during a digital intraoral scan.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 122: 288-294
- Volume of unsupported peri-implant soft tissue over time: a cross-sectional observation study.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 883-889
- Dimensional variations in the soft tissue profile after removal of implant-supported fixed interim restorations: a pilot clinical study.Implant Dent. 2018; 27: 28-32
- The effect of mucosal cuff shrinkage around dental implants during healing abutment replacement.J Oral Rehabil. 2015; 42: 774-778
- Replicating soft tissue contours on working casts for implant restorations.J Prosthodont. 1997; 6: 218-220
- A technique to replicate soft tissues around fixed restoration pontics on working casts.J Prosthodont. 1999; 8: 44-46
- Impression techniques for implant dentistry.Br Dent J. 2006; 201: 429-432
- Transferring the emergence profile from the provisional to the final restoration.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2014; 26: 154-161
- A digital technique for replicating peri-implant soft tissue contours and the emergence profile.J Prosthet Dent. 2017; 118: 264-267
- Treatment planning and soft-tissue management for optimal implant esthetics: a prosthodontic perspective.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2003; 31: 559-563
- Use of provisional restorations to enhance soft-tissue contours for implant restorations.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1998; 19: 488-489
- Provisional restorations in soft tissue management around dental implants.Periodontol. 2001; 27: 139-147
- Initial injection pressure for dental local anesthesia: effects on pain and anxiety.Anesth Prog. 2005; 52: 95-101
- Topical anesthesia for prosthetic implant procedures.J Prosthet Dent. 2009; 102: 128-129
- Tear strength of five elastomeric impression materials at two setting times and two tearing rates.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2008; 20: 186-193
Published online: April 29, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.