Statement of problem
Intraoral scanners (IOSs) have been used in dentistry for diagnostic and treatment purposes; however, the influence of environmental factors such as humidity or temperature on the accuracy of intraoral scanning is uncertain.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the influence of relative humidity and ambient temperature on the accuracy, scanning time, and number of photograms of dentate complete arch intraoral digital scans.
Material and methods
A completely dentate mandibular typodont was digitized by using a dental laboratory scanner. Four calibrated spheres were attached following the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standard 20 896. A watertight box was designed to simulate 4 different relative humidity conditions (50%, 70%, 80%, and 90%) (n = 30). An IOS (TRIOS 3) was used to obtain a total of 120 complete arch digital scans (n = 120). Scanning time and number of photograms of each specimen were recorded. All the scans were exported and compared with the master cast by using a reverse engineering software program. The linear distances among the reference spheres were used to calculate trueness and precision. A unifactorial analysis of variance (ANOVA) and Levene tests followed by the post hoc Bonferroni test were used to analyze trueness and precision data, respectively. A unifactorial ANOVA followed by a post hoc Bonferroni test was also conducted to analyze scanning time and the number of photogram data.
Statistically significant differences were found in trueness, precision, number of photograms, and scanning time (P<.05). Regarding trueness and precision, significant differences were found between the 50% and 70% relative humidity groups and the 80% and 90% relative humidity groups (P<.01). Regarding scanning time and number of photograms, significant differences were obtained among all groups, except between the 80% and 90% relative humidity groups (P<.01).
The relative humidity conditions tested influenced accuracy, scanning time, and number of photograms in complete arch intraoral digital scans. High relative humidity conditions resulted in the decreased scanning accuracy, longer scanning time, and greater number of photograms of complete arch intraoral digital scans.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Council on scientific affairs. Intraoral scanners: an American dental association clinical evaluators panel survey.J Am Dent Assoc. 2021; 152: 669-670.e2
- Accuracy, reliability, and efficiency of intraoral scanners for full-arch impressions: a systematic review of the clinical evidence.Eur J Orthod. 2015; 38: 422-428
- Validity and reliability of intraoral scanners compared to conventional gypsum models measurements: a systematic review.Eur J Orthod. 2016; 38: 429-434
- Progress in digital dentistry: the practical use of intraoral scanners.Dent Mater J. 2020; 39: 52-56
- Direct mechanical data acquisition of dental impressions for the manufacturing of CAD/CAM restorations.J Dent. 2007; 35: 903-908
- Patient preference and clinical working time between digital scanning and conventional impression taking for implant-supported prostheses: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 127: 589-596
- Learning curve of digital intraoral scanning - An in vivo study.BMC Oral Health. 2020; 20: 287
- Techniques to improve the accuracy of complete-arch implant intraoral digital scans: a systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 27 October 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.08.018
- Comparison of the suitability of intra-oral scanning with conventional impression of edentulous maxilla in vivo. A preliminary study.J Osseointegration. 2018; 10: 115-120
- In vivo precision of conventional and digital methods of obtaining complete-arch dental impressions.J Prosthet Dent. 2016; 115: 313-320
- Accuracy of digital and conventional full-arch impressions in patients: an update.J Clin Med. 2020; 9: 688
- Feasibility of using an intraoral scanner for a complete-arch digital scan.J Prosthet Dent. 2019; 121: 803-810
- Use of intraoral scan for implant-supported dental prosthesis to design and fabricate a CAD-CAM verification device: a dental technique.J Prosthet Dent. 2021; 125: 204-207
- A guide for maximizing the accuracy of intraoral digital scans: part 1-Operator factors.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2023; 35: 230-240
- A guide for maximizing the accuracy of intraoral digital scans: part 2-Patient factors.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2023; 35: 241-249
- Effect of scan substrates on accuracy of 7 intraoral digital impression systems using human maxilla model.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019; 22: 168-174
- Accuracy of intraoral digital impressions for whole upper jaws, including full dentitions and palatal soft tissues.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0158800
- Effect of scan pattern on complete-arch scans with 4 digital scanners.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 123: 85-95
- Influence of the surface humidity, implant angulation, and interimplant distance on the accuracy and scanning time of complete-arch implant scans.J Dent. 2022; 127104307
- Analysis of different illuminance of the room lighting condition on the accuracy (trueness and precision) of an intraoral scanner.J Prosthodont. 2021; 30: 157-162
- Influence of ambient temperature changes on intraoral scanning accuracy.J Prosthet Dent. 21 Febuary 2022; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2022.01.012
- Accuracy of intraoral scanners in different complete arch scan patterns.J Prosthet Dent. 4 march 2022; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.12.026
- Influence of definitive and interim restorative materials and surface finishing on the scanning accuracy of an intraoral scanner.J Dent. 2022; 120: 104114
- Effect of saliva isolation and intraoral light levels on performance of intraoral scanners.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 158: 759-766
- Accuracy on scanned images of full arch models with orthodontic brackets by various intraoral scanners in the presence of artificial saliva.Biomed Res Int. 2020; 2020: 2920804
- Air humidity: a detrimental factor in dentine adhesion.J Dent. 1993; 21: 228-233
- Intraoral humidity during operative procedures.J Dent. 1994; 22: 89-91
- Influence of simulated oral conditions on different pretreatment methods for the repair of glass-ceramic restorations.J Adhes Dent. 2022; 24: 57-66
- Influence of environmental conditions on dental composite flexural properties.Dent Mater. 2006; 22: 1002-1007
- Volumetric polymerization shrinkage of resin composites under simulated intraoral temperature and humidity conditions.Oper Dent. 2005; 30: 696-701
- Effect of humidity on the volumetric polymerization shrinkage of resin restorative materials.Gen Dent. 2006; 54: 113-116
- Intraoral environment conditions and their influence on marginal leakage in composite resin restorations.Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2010; 23: 105-110
- Simulated oral environment and microleakage of Class II resin-based composite and sandwich restorations.Am J Dent. 2003; 16: 186-190
- Impact of scanning strategy on the accuracy of complete-arch intraoral scans: a preliminary study on segmental scans and merge methods.J Adv Prosthodont. 2022; 14: 88-95
- Effects of scanning strategy and scanner type on the accuracy of intraoral scans: A new approach for assessing the accuracy of scanned data.J Prosthodont. 2020; 29: 518-523
- Factors that influence the accuracy of intraoral scanning of total edentulous arches rehabilitated with multiple implants: A systematic review.J Prosthet Dent. 13 October 2021; ([Epub ahead of print.])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.09.001
- The effects of three dry-field techniques on intraoral temperature and relative humidity.J Am Dent Assoc. 2011; 142: 274-280
- Influence of different rubber dam application on intraoral temperature and relative humidity.Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2014; 55: 11-17
- Dentistry – Base polymers – Part 1: Denture base polymers. 2013 (ISO 20795-1)
- Dentistry – Artificial teeth for dental prostheses. 2017 (ISO 22112)
- Dentistry- Digital impression devices- Part 1: Methods for assessing accuracy. 2019 (ISO 20896-1)
- Intraoral digital scans-Part 1: influence of ambient scanning light conditions on the accuracy (trueness and precision) of different intraoral scanners.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 124: 372-378
- Clinical study of the influence of ambient light scanning conditions on the accuracy (trueness and precision) of an intraoral scanner.J Prosthodont. 2020; 29: 107-113
- Intraoral digital scans: Part 2-influence of ambient scanning light conditions on the mesh quality of different intraoral scanners.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 124: 575-580
- Scanning accuracy and scanning area discrepancies of intraoral digital scans acquired at varying scanning distances and angulations among 4 different intraoral scanners.J Prosthet Dent. 3 March 2023; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2023.01.025
- Clinical evaluation of the effects of cutting off, overlapping, and rescanning procedures on intraoral scanning accuracy.J Prosthet Dent. 5 January 2022; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2021.10.017
- Influence of rescanning mesh holes on the accuracy of an intraoral scanner: an in vivo study.J Dent. 2021; 115: 103851
- Influence of the implant scan body bevel location, implant angulation and position on intraoral scanning accuracy: an in vitro study.J Dent. 2022; 121: 104122
- Does the palatal vault form have an influence on the scan time and accuracy of intraoral scans of completely edentulous arches? An in-vitro study.J Adv Prosthodont. 2022; 14: 294-304
- Impact of different complete coverage onlay preparation designs and the intraoral scanner on the accuracy of digital scans.J Prosthet Dent. 15 June 2022; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2022.05.001
- Influence of rescanning mesh holes and stitching procedures on the complete-arch scanning accuracy of an intraoral scanner: an in vitro study.J Dent. 2021; 110: 103690
- Influence of liquid on the tooth surface on the accuracy of intraoral scanners: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 2022; 31: 59-64
- Influence of artificial landmarks on the accuracy of complete arch scans in the partially edentulous maxilla: an in vitro study.J Prosthet Dent. 24 November 2022; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2022.08.011
- Evaluation of the accuracy of 2 digital intraoral scanners: a 3D analysis study.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 126: 787-792
- Influence of scan body design and digital implant analogs on implant replica position in additively manufactured casts.J Prosthet Dent. 2020; 124: 202-210
- Complete-arch accuracy of intraoral scanners.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 120: 382-388
- A comparison of the accuracy of intraoral scanners using an intraoral environment simulator.J Adv Prosthodont. 2018; 10: 58-64
Published online: May 18, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
The authors did not have any conflict of interest, financial or personal, in any of the materials described in the study.
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.