Statement of problem
How the color parameters obtained from digital photographs may be influenced by illumination, file format, and subject color is unclear.
The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate color differences (ΔE00) and CIELab color coordinates among different types of file formats of dental shade tab images with and without white balance.
Material and methods
Different shade tab colors (n=10) were photographed with a digital camera under standard conditions. The photographs were stored in RAW, JPEG, and TIFF file formats and evaluated with and without white balance (WB) adjustment by using an image software program and a gray reference card with known color coordinates. CIEDE2000 color differences between each image file format and the control group (RAW WB) were calculated, and interpreted by the visual perceptibility (PT00=0.8) and acceptability (AT00=1.8) thresholds. The ΔE00 color shift was defined according to CIEDE2000 lightness, chroma, and hue and interpreted by the following respective visual acceptability thresholds: 2.92, 2.52, and 1.90. The differences among the color coordinates were analyzed by Kruskal-Wallis and Bonferroni post hoc tests (α=.05).
The color coordinates presented statistically significant differences between the file formats and control group (P<.001). Excellent matches (ΔE00 ≤0.8) were observed on TIFF and JPEG saved from RAW-WB. Images without WB presented unacceptable mismatches (ΔE00 >5.4). ΔE00 color shift of images without WB were predominantly influenced by ΔH00, while JPEG, WB, and TIFF WB were mostly influenced by ΔC00.
Only compressed JPEG or TIFF files of dental shade tabs derived from original RAW WB photographs were able to achieve color differences within the limits of the 50:50% perceptibility threshold, providing excellent color matches with the RAW WB files.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tooth colour and whiteness: a review.J Dent. 2017; 67: S3-S10
- Color difference thresholds in dentistry.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2015; 27: S1-9
- Tooth color and whitening – Digital technologies.J Dent. 2018; 74: S42-S46
- Analysis of shade matching in natural dentitions using intraoral digital spectrophotometer in LED and filtered LED light sources.J Prosthodont. 2017; 28: e68-73
- The use of digital imaging for colour matching and communication in restorative dentistry.Br Dent J. 2005; 199: 43-49
- Optimization of tooth color and shade guide design: clinical research.J Prosthodont. 2007; 16: 269-276
- Visual and instrumental shade matching using CIELab and CIEDE2000 color difference formulas.Dent Mater. 2016; 32: 82-92
- Direct esthetic restorations based on translucency and opacity of composite resins.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2011; 23: 73-87
- Understanding color.in: Goldstein R.E. Chu S.J. Lee E.A. Stappert C.F.J. Esthetics in Dentistry. 3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2018: 270-294
- Tooth colour: a review of the literature.J Dent. 2004; 32: 3-12
- A review of tooth colour and whiteness.J Dent. 2008; 36: 2-7
- A comparison between visual, intraoral scanner, and spectrophotometer shade matching: a clinical study.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 121: 271-275
- Dental color matching instruments and systems. Review of clinical and research aspects.J Dent. 2010; 38: 2-16
- The photoshop smile design technique (part 1): Digital dental photography.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2013; 34: 772-779
- Assessing and achieving accuracy in digital dental photography.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2009; 37: 185-191
- Variability of color matching with different digital photography techniques and a gray reference card.J Prosthet Dent. 2018; 121: 333-339
- Dental shade matching using a digital camera.J Dent. 2012; 40: 3-10
- Color accuracy of commercial digital cameras for use in dentistry.Dent Mater. 2006; 22: 553-559
- Shade matching assisted by digital photography and computer software.J Prosthodont. 2009; 18: 235-241
- Practical clinical photography.in: Goldstein R.E. Chu S.J. Lee E.A. Stappert C.F.J. Esthetics in Dentistry. 3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2018: 154-182
- Comparison of visual shade matching and photographic shade analysis.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2022; 34: 374-382
- The International Comission on Illumination. CIE 015:2018 Colorimetry. 4th ed. CIE Central Bureau, Vienna2018
- Evaluation of dental shade guide variability using cross-polarized photography.Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2016; 36: 76-81
- Comparison of photographic and conventional methods for tooth shade selection: a clinical evaluation.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2017; 19: 88-92
- Applicability of CIELab/CIEDE2000 formula in visual color assessments of metal ceramic restorations.J Dent. 2012; 40: 3-9
- Mastering Digital Dental Photography.2nd ed. Quintesence Pub, 2006: 1-387
- Development of digital shade guides for color assessment using a digital camera with ring flashes.Clin Oral Investig. 2011; 15: 49-56
- Integrating color constancy into JPEG2000.IEEE Trans Image Process. 2007; 16: 2697-2706
- RAW image reconstruction using a self-contained sRGB–JPEG image with small memory overhead.Int J Comput Vis. 2017; 126: 637-650
- Identifying the tooth shade in group of patients using Vita Easyshade.Eur J Dent. 2015; 9: 213-217
- Color adjustment potential of resin composites.Clin Oral Investig. 2018; 22: 1601-1607
- Does background color influence visual thresholds?.J Dent. 2020; 102: 7-10
- The use of a standardized gray reference card in dental photography to correct the effects of five commonly used diffusers on the color of 40 extracted human teeth.Int J Esthet Dent. 2016; 11: 246-259
- Photography: Selection and application.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2008; 29: 37-46
- Dental photography today. Part 1: Basic concepts.Oral Implantol. 2016; 8: 122-129
- Digital photography enhances diagnostics, communication, and documentation.Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2011; 32: 36-38
- The development of the CIE 2000 colour-difference formula: CIEDE2000.Color Res Appl. 2001; 26: 340-350
- ISO/TR 28642: 2016. Technical Report (E): Dentistry - guidance on colour measurement.ISO, Geneva2016
- Acceptability and perceptibility thresholds in dentistry: a comprehensive review of clinical and research applications.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2019; 31: 103-112
- Dental ceramics: a CIEDE2000 acceptability thresholds for lightness, chroma and hue differences.J Dent. 2011; 39: e37-44
- A lightness, chroma and hue splitting approach to CIEDE2000 colour differences.Adv Colour Sci Technol. 2002; 5: 46-53
Published online: May 12, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Supported by the Brazilian Ministry of Education (Foundation for Post-Graduate Education-CAPES) [grant 88882.428245/2019-01].
© 2023 by the Editorial Council for The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry.